Traditional Folders

Help EM and UK knife making and unlock loads of premium features by buying a subscription here!
  • When I very first started buying knives as a kid at school, many of them were traditional folders. Then I became a teenager and did uni and stuff, so knives took a back seat

As I got into being a grown-up in later years and had more disposable income, my collecting went scatter-gun...........and now I have come full circle and really very much enjoy traditional folders.

There appears to be a growing number of members who like these traditionals too, and together with makers like Paul @mason knives producing utter stunners that belong on the world stage alongside the big names, the momentum for these types of folders, though slow here in UK, is growing well.

And, this morning @Paul W posted this very nicely done vid about a Pena Zulu Spear - explaining some of his history and also the reasoning behind ergonomics of these folders.

So, please, if you've any stuff you'd like to include/share/ask about traditional folders - both custom and production - please post here.

...anyone who rides a bike and loves nature, can never be poor, we will always be happy, no matter what
    Gunther Muller

• It is true indeed how our taste in knife styles changes over a time period, usually always influenced by our peers.
    Being mostly a fixed blade man, it is not very long ago that I wouldn't have even looked at a trad slipjoint or wanted one in my collection, but the beauty, elagance and history of these knives is too much to miss out on.

"This is my rifle.There are many like it, but this one is mine"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharpen it like you love it, use it like you hate it.

• It is true indeed how our taste in knife styles changes over a time period, usually always influenced by our peers.
    Being mostly a fixed blade man, it is not very long ago that I wouldn't have even looked at a trad slipjoint or wanted one in my collection, but the beauty, elagance and history of these knives is too much to miss out on.

- absodamnlutely..!

Am working today, and want to try find a decent couple vids re Tony Bose - he's responsible for so many great designs and also very high quality - and a great mentor to Paul Mason.

If anyone can find decent vids, please hoist 'em on here...

...anyone who rides a bike and loves nature, can never be poor, we will always be happy, no matter what
    Gunther Muller

• @Platinum posted a good one of Tony Bose in his workshop. Can't remember where tho...

Here is the 3 part interview with 'the man'

"This is my rifle.There are many like it, but this one is mine"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharpen it like you love it, use it like you hate it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Paul W ().

• Got my first knife at eight years old.

Then as a tradesman I carried a knife all my working life .My passion with traditional folders go back to that first knife,had more knives pass thro my hands than I'm ready to admit to many lockers and autos ,but a well made slipjoint still makes me smile.These are my current line up,but as those who know me of old ,they may change at any time :D

• I have been big into the traditionals for the last couple of years. There is a elegance that for me is missing with many tactical folders.
    Although I still enjoy locking knives my heart firmly goes with the traditional and that's where the majority of my limited resources go as well.
    The added bonus is that I very rarely have to worry about wear I carry. So I can carry and appreciate on a daily basis.

I don't know what others experience but I find that non knife people can more easily accept the traditionals knives. I don't have to feel self conscious about using my knives around work colleagues and the like.

• it is not very long ago that I wouldn't have even looked at a trad slipjoint or wanted one in my collection

I was exactly the same ,a traditional knife to me for a long time was either a Delica or endura .....Anything older or (heaven for bid) without a lock was basically pointless and outdated to my mind

Tai pans ,Warriors ,Tantos Where some of knives in my favourite Genre :whistling: ...also lots of scandi's (easy now Chui :D )

But then the slip joint bug just hit ....I think partly because in the knifey world ....A nicely made 3 inch-ish bladed slip joint is the closest thing Iv found for giving the same feeling as fine jeweller or a fine watch in the knife world ....with my background in that ,traditional knives just clicked :love:

And then this happened X/:D 

• owning more than one fine knife is greedy :whistling: just saying

• We've just created this new sub-forum and I've moved this morning's 'Traditional Folders' thread straight in here.

@Platinum will be a mod in this sub-forum :thumbsup:

Gunther Muller

• I have been big into the traditionals for the last couple of years. There is a elegance that for me is missing with many tactical folders.
    Although I still enjoy locking knives my heart firmly goes with the traditional and that's where the majority of my limited resources go as well.
    The added bonus is that I very rarely have to worry about wear I carry. So I can carry and appreciate on a daily basis.

I don't know what others experience but I find that non knife people can more easily accept the traditionals knives. I don't have to feel self conscious about using my knives around work colleagues and the like.

I agree with you imho there is no better as tool knife than a ukpk in g10 but I've gone back to slippys if you notice everyone's going back records,Victorian fireplaces,film cameras etc.