Hey all sorry for the lateness of this!

Help EM and UK knife making and unlock loads of premium features by buying a subscription here!
  • Hey all been a while since i was here, but ive finally gotten round to starting making my first knife!

Not gonna lie, things went wrong from the get go. firstly it was raining (personal problems but back at my mums house). so, i waited for her to go out to work and got to work in the dining room.... yeah.... first issue, hacksaw blade snapped immediately, didn't have any more haha. so out came the angle grinder. the hacksaw snapping was actually a blessing in disguise i think because i was sweating my a$$ off doing it with the angle grinder. not looking forward to the file stage at all, you guys must have so big arms! (or big tools ;)).

so anyways, i was getting super into it thinking this is going pretty well, not gonna lie, each cut my bum was twitching thinking one wrong cut and ive f****d it all up lol. was getting my face right in there to make sure i wasn't cutting too far, sarks hitting my face didn't matter, i wasn't about to ruin this bit of metal id had so generously given to me by jimmy pie. anyway, i think so far its gone pretty good. Just a couple of mistakes from not having the muscle memory for the job i think where i wasn't holding the grinder perfectly straight but i think i can remedy this with the file stage. be a couple weeks before i can afford my set of files but i will update when i get them. any recommendations about that stage? or anything ive done massively wrong on this stage *scared face*? how do you guys make sure you're holding things perfectly level?

also, for when im getting onto putting the edge on, is there some sort of equation for getting the height and width of the bevel eactly where you want it? or am i over thinking this? lol.

Thanks guys hope you've all had a good Christmas and new year!

• Good one I know there is people out there that make cracking knives with files. I'm sure you'll learn from every one you make and that the fun part having a go.
    As far as blade blade geometry goes there is no hard and fast rule it's more dependant on use. A razor for example is thin as you like a axe is meaty behind the edge.
    Some of the more experienced guys will probably be able to give you more usable advice.
    Best of luck with the build

• Thanks! Yeah I'll defiantly burn a fair few calories doing it! I knew the metal was tough but I still wasn't ready for it eating my discs up like it did! Lol enjoyable proscess though. Most stressful part was looking at the clock thinking am I gonna have time to get this cleaned up before the mother gets home haha, managed that too though!
  • Not sure if you know this already brettorius (so sorry if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs, lol) but when making knives from files or any steel/metal blank once you have got the initial shape of the blade you want then it is a good idea to colour the edge with a black marker.

Then using a sharp scribe tool mark the centre line all the way along the blade so that you can work towards that when you're filing or grinding to get the correct centre point.

You don't have to use a black marker but I have found it is easier to see the scribe line that way. Hope that helps. ;)

• ''Tis indeed good advice, for finding high spots too. Thanks you.
    The thing I was wondering though is (it's hard for me to put into words, I need pictures or a thing to point at! Lol). Say you've got a 40mm wide blade and lets say it's 5mm thick steel and you want the bevel to go up half way, so 20mm. How would you work out the angle you needed to get the desired size bevel? And like if you wanted the bevel to go up 30mm the angle would need to be different again or if the thickness was different you'd need a different angle again. I was wondering if there was some sort of z + x - y = Q algebra thing. Or am I over thinking it? I'm probably over thinking lol.

• Have to be honest as I have no idea if there is some sort of equation to work what you want out. ?( I tend to do most things by eye with a little bit of measuring here & there thrown in. :D

On another note, have you had a look on Youtube at knife making videos at all?

I have found some real inspiration, great ideas and fantastic tips from knife makers on there. Just a few of the people I follow below for example.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGca03sbLq7OUnXMdvRHyBQ
    https://www.youtube.com/user/brandnershomestyle/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/benloope/videos

• Yeah I tend to over complicate everything to the max lol I'll probably end up doing that too. I should have listened in school lol.
    I've seen a few YouTube videos yeah, people make it look effortless I was nackered lol. Thanks for the suggestions I'll take a look at them

''Tis indeed good advice, for finding high spots too. Thanks you.
    The thing I was wondering though is (it's hard for me to put into words, I need pictures or a thing to point at! Lol). Say you've got a 40mm wide blade and lets say it's 5mm thick steel and you want the bevel to go up half way, so 20mm. How would you work out the angle you needed to get the desired size bevel? And like if you wanted the bevel to go up 30mm the angle would need to be different again or if the thickness was different you'd need a different angle again. I was wondering if there was some sort of z + x - y = Q algebra thing. Or am I over thinking it? I'm probably over thinking lol.

Trigonometry is what you need. It's not rocket science but having said that I'm not going to start giving lessons at midnight.

Mel

• Trigonometry all sounds a bit complicated, but, these days there's no longer any need to remember the rather complicated formulae. It's a simple matter of finding a computer program via Google (there are loads of them) for the solution of the right angle triangle.
    All you need are the two dimensions that you already have, 20mm (height of bevel) and 2.5mm (half the blade thickness) in your question.
    Input these two dimensions and the answer will appear instantly, in this case 7.125 degrees or 4.75 degrees with a 30mm bevel.
    I have to agree that there's no substitute to marking out the lines and working to them by eyesight but there are occasions when it is useful to know the exact angle and these programs make it very simple.
    Mel.

• Thank you Mel, it was just one of those things i was wondering about, like for getting it exactly the same as the template is a useful thing to know. Quite interesting really.

I think I'm going to enjoy this filing down stage a lot since it's gonna be a much slower proscess than blasting through with the angle grinder (even though it's gonna me more exhausting!)

Thanks jimmy yeah I have a few copies of the template printed off so plan was to cut it out again exactly the same but cut the bevel part out this time aswell so I can use that as the guide. Took me a second to spot the tram lines but yeah I get you.

On another topic I've found a couple of good programs for actually designing knifes on. One is autodesk 123D design and the other is called Inkscape. Both totally free and awsome. The autodesk one is a bit overkill for these kind of things but it's super easy to use. Just in case anyone's interested was mentioning it is all.

• So ive managed to do a bit more shaping with an awful bench grinder. want attatched to anything, no guards on it, no rests and i decided to pull a few parts off of it to make it more usable. anyway i thing its a half decent bit of shaping but man what i wouldnt give for a flat surface to steady the blade while i worked, its almost as if my mums dining room isnt a suitable place for knife making?? weird.
    anyways, will finish it off with some ink and files when i get em so the edges arent as wobbly. i offically have the kinife making bug!
    If anyone here is thinking of having a go at it but youre iffing and butting thinking you dont have the tools etc etc. id say just go for it, im one of the least practical people you could ever hope to meet and ive managed to cobble this passable thing offwith help and advice from the lovely people on here, and a few youtube videos (which make it look less exerting than it actually is (im not a health man lol). but dont let that put you off, exercise is good!) but yeah. Have a go! great fun. heres so far:-