Hey all sorry for the lateness of this!

And please enter our 2018 Photo Calendar Competition.... July's entries are >>> here <<<
Please note that from 1st August 2017, free accounts will no longer be able to use the Conversation (PM) system. Please see >>> here <<<for details.
  • I hope you fix that bench grinder down somehow when you're using it, ...could be nasty if it flips over on you whilst you're using it (I'm not your mother though but be careful that's all ;) ).

Anyway have you thought about using a Dremel for the "inner curvy bits" as you put it?

Just an idea as there are so many different bits available for Dremels that you can do a lot with them.

• thats how it is. its alright if you keep an eye on it. keeps life interesting for sure. just poke it back on with a bit of metal. to be fair thats why i was going to wait till i got my files to tidy the edges up, but i just couldnt wait.
    i know super technical aint i haha. yeh ill get a dremel someday after ive got my files maybe. gonna knock a little jig up for the bevel too to make sure im keeping the same angle all the way along.

• Thank you :). yeah it is. enjoying it though i didnt think id get this far to be honest, i expected screwing it up wiith the first cut lol. but yeah deffo gotta use what youve got and bodge stuff together to get the job done, thats one of the fun parts!

• She's going to kill you I'd wager if you start cutting bits off her chopping board. Lol. =O

Have a look on eBay as you can get some great cheap scales/handle materials on there. You could also have a look at Heinnie Haynes but it'll be a little more expensive but better quality.
    I bought some particularly nice curly birch blocks from them before which was cheap enough and looks fantastic. :)

• yeah I'd definitely be murdered haha I was just chuckling to my self when I saw it and it crossed my mind.
    Just had a look on eBay, pretty cheap isn't it. I like how that kernite stuff looks but I'm defiantly going for a nice chunk of wood for my first since I've never worked with that kernite resin stuff, I'm gonna hazzard a guess that it bungs up your files something rotten. Plus I love to see wood getting shinier and shinier the more you work it and polish it, guess you don't get that from resins

• yeah I'd definitely be murdered haha I was just chuckling to my self when I saw it and it crossed my mind.
    Just had a look on eBay, pretty cheap isn't it. I like how that kernite stuff looks but I'm defiantly going for a nice chunk of wood for my first since I've never worked with that kernite resin stuff, I'm gonna hazzard a guess that it bungs up your files something rotten. Plus I love to see wood getting shinier and shinier the more you work it and polish it, guess you don't get that from resins

See this is where a Dremel comes in handy again as when I've used Micarta for example I've just used a Dremel with a sanding barrel on it which makes very short work of any excess. Once it's close to where I want it then I get on it with wet & dry sand paper. ;)

I definitely prefer working with wood though and you can actually do some pretty cool things with it too, like inlays for example.

• Yeah I need to get my self a dremel, they look super handy. Throwing my bevel jig together today and hopefully getting a bevel put on the thing. Used some nail varnish to mark my centre line haha. Then I've gotta drill the handle for the pins, not looking forward to that, never drilled metal with a hand drill before, and not with a pillar drill since school!
    Gonna attempt to make this thing to do the heat treat part, then just the oven for balancing.

• Yeah I've got a little vice that should do the job. Just wondering if my little 18v drill is gonna get through it, hopefully it will eventually lol

That's good then. I had nightmare visions of you trying to hold it with your hand or something! Lol. :D

You may already know this but the trick is to firstly centre punch the centre of the hole/place you want to drill which will give the drill bit a nice place to catch onto. Then starting with a small drill bit you drill through the metal and gently widen the hole with increasingly bigger drill bits until you reach the size hole you want.

• That's good then. I had nightmare visions of you trying to hold it with your hand or something! Lol. :D 
    You may already know this but the trick is to firstly centre punch the centre of the hole/place you want to drill which will give the drill bit a nice place to catch onto. Then starting with a small drill bit you drill through the metal and gently widen the hole with increasingly bigger drill bits until you reach the size hole you want.

Ah i knew about the centre punch, never crossed my mind to start with a smaller bit, good call, thanks!