Who's a lucky boy then or A day in the workshop of Guy Stainthorp

Welcome to EM's new look and feel! Please have a quick read of this post and feel free to raise any queries.
Please vote now for our April photography calendar competition winner!
There are still places left for this year's "Alt-Bardster's", in a field in mid Kent, Saturday 27th & Sunday 28th May... with camping and lamb roast! See here and here for details.
  • Looks like you had a very enjoyable and productive day Amir.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of 14c28n. I've got a knife that Guy made with it and I think it's great because it takes a really good edge and holds it well but unlike some of the so called super steels it's very straightforward to sharpen and maintain.

In the end, it’s better to have a knife on your belt because it works better, than a knife in your showcase because it looks better.......

• Looks like you had a very enjoyable and productive day Amir.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of 14c28n. I've got a knife that Guy made with it and I think it's great because it takes a really good edge and holds it well but unlike some of the so called super steels it's very straightforward to sharpen and maintain.

it was a very productive and enlightening day John, Guy is excellent company and the day flew by all too soon. :)

He did mention those same qualities as the steel seems to be closer to a stainless razor steel ( thinking in terms of edge stability here both in terms of how it relates to edge holding through edge damage and the intriguing possibility that the edge can simply be steeled back into shape in the field rather sharpened ) than the high carbide stuff I've been playing with.

I am thinking to grind the edge angle thin and take advantage of the geometry.

Guy's design of course, hardly my own ideas... :D

• @Platinum , anyone who can be bothered can hit the keyboard or send something through the post , taking the time and physically tutoring someone is a whole different ball game , not many people will offer that up , but it's something I'd like to do in the future to share what little I know and what has been shared with me so far .

Good on you Jim!

With stand up guys like Guy and yourself, amongst many others I'm sure, around people can get the sort of help that was unimaginable before forums came along. :)

• sorry ramble over :lol:

• No, very interesting Platinum!

Thank you for your thoughts as I love a nice geeky steel discussion! :D

My knives get blunt cutting up into bone to do head and feet, not opening up bellies and so this idea of rolled rather than microchipped edges is new to me.

Bizzarely when you get to something like ZDP, the steel is so hard that it doesn't seem to chip on bone as much?

Need two identical knives in S90V and ZDP to test this though...

• it was a very productive and enlightening day John, Guy is excellent company and the day flew by all too soon. :) 
    He did mention those same qualities as the steel seems to be closer to a stainless razor steel ( thinking in terms of edge stability here both in terms of how it relates to edge holding through edge damage and the intriguing possibility that the edge can simply be steeled back into shape in the field rather sharpened ) than the high carbide stuff I've been playing with.

I am thinking to grind the edge angle thin and take advantage of the geometry.

Guy's design of course, hardly my own ideas... :D

This is my 14c28n Guy knife. I love the high scandi grind (a first for me) and it's become my main user on camping trips for both food prep and wood work. All I've ever needed to do to get the edge back is strop it.

I agree that Guy is excellent company so get yourself up to the Orchardjam in Chesterfield this year and spend some time with him, Shing, Mike Reid (PITS) and quite a few mere mortals too. It's an incredibly chilled weekend with superb company and I'll even stand you a tot or two of whatever malt I've got with me.

In the end, it’s better to have a knife on your belt because it works better, than a knife in your showcase because it looks better.......

• Late to the party as ever!
    It was a pleasure to spend to day with you @The Lord Flashheart Sorry I've only just seen this thread :rolleyes: Your generousity more than accounted for what I could impart in a single day...so get yourself up here again as soon as you can mate. Plus, I need an excuse to have another pub lunch and pint of ale ;) 
    Next comes hand finishing and handles...shouldn't be too challenging, the force is strong with this one 8)