Recommend me a Shing!

And please enter our 2018 Photo Calendar Competition.... July's entries are >>> here <<<
Please note that from 1st August 2017, free accounts will no longer be able to use the Conversation (PM) system. Please see >>> here <<<for details.
  • Best bet is to handle a Shing knife and ask someone what the spring is like in terms of strength. That'll give you a baseline to work from. Shing springs are strong springs, if you'd like I can send you a Raven to have a look at? @Oxford_Guy

That would be grand, thanks, would give me a much better starting point. @Jimmypie can vouch for me, I think. I'll PM you in a bit.

• @Oxford_Guy don't worry mate. You don't need to get anyone to vouch for you. If I thought you were guna do a runner or anything daft I wouldn't have offered.

@Platinum Joel, your more than welcome to mate. If you've never handled one it'll be an experience. I'll send it off to Oxford guy and ask him to send it on to you if you'd like? You can work out things between yourselves. Then just return it to me once your done with it :D

Sound good guys?

• @Oxford_Guy don't worry mate. You don't need to get anyone to vouch for you. If I thought you were guna do a runner or anything daft I wouldn't have offered.

@Platinum Joel, your more than welcome to mate. If you've never handled one it'll be an experience. I'll send it off to Oxford guy and ask him to send it on to you if you'd like? You can work out things between yourselves. Then just return it to me once your done with it :D

Sound good guys?

Works for me! Thanks again.

• @Platinum Joel, your more than welcome to mate. If you've never handled one it'll be an experience. I'll send it off to Oxford guy and ask him to send it on to you if you'd like? You can work out things between yourselves. Then just return it to me once your done with it :D 

@Platinum don't tell me you need @Hattori Hanzo to send you a Shing.

FFS .... You have more Shings than Shing has !!!!

• I'm also about to order a new shing and was wondering about spring strength. The only reference I have is a raven I had from him years ago, one of the reasons I let it go was because it was like a bear trap.

It had mammoth ivory scales and a Dama blade, I know someone here has it as I've seen it in pics.....

Wish I'd never let it go now!

• Its worth mentioning that the Raven and the smaller Puffin has had the innards redesigned so the part of the blade that sticks out when the blade is closed is a lot lower so its easier in the pocket. If someone with both and older and newer Raven and Puffin put them side by side, the difference is clear.

The spring strength can also be changed to suit the user.

I will also be doing some new models both folders and straights in the New Year so there will be more choice.

• Its worth mentioning that the Raven and the smaller Puffin has had the innards redesigned so the part of the blade that sticks out when the blade is closed is a lot lower so its easier in the pocket. If someone with both and older and newer Raven and Puffin put them side by side, the difference is clear.

I will also be doing some new models both folders and straights in the New Year so there will be more choice.

Great, I'll be following closely! I''m quite likely to want to place a (folder) comission with you in the New Year!

• I will also be doing some new model straights in the New Year

8o

"This is my rifle.There are many like it, but this one is mine"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharpen it like you love it, use it like you hate it.

About half the members right now , including my self are basically experiencing this ...reading that :D 

• Just received @Hattori Hanzo s Raven for a try-out. Here's my initial thoughts:

Very nice knife, the craftsmanship is clear, both the blade (lovely grind and bevel) and the overall construction. The spring is pretty strong, to the extent where I'd be wary of breaking a nail if actually putting a nail in the nail nick, but it's not a problem to open if just grabbing the blade (there is enough purchase for that). @Hattori Hanzo - in Shing's terms would he describe this as a "Medium" pull spring or strong? I assume "Medium/light pull" would be a bit less strong than your Raven? As I think I mentioned before I do like quite a strong back spring, but would prefer something a little weaker, I think. Also perhaps a scagel slot, to assist with grabbing the blade, though not sure it would look quite right on the Raven/Puffin.

What materials is your Raven made out of? Is the blade RWL34 steel? I assume the liners are steel? Are the scales G10 or is that polished micarta? It looks like the scales are removable, is that the case (don't worry, I won't try!)? I assume the knife itself is not "take down", though?

Size-wise it has a nice heft and feels and solid and dependable, but I would probably go for something a little smaller and a bit thinner for my use case, though doesn't have to be loads smaller. @Shing how does the Recurve compare to the Raven size-wise?

• The Raven & Recurve are very similar in size, but the Recurve is considerably lighter and more pocket friendly, and the 'clipped' blade shape is a bit more useful by having a more pronounced point than the spearpointed Raven, the lighter and slimmer Recurve does not give anything up to the Raven in the cutting stakes.
    Poor photo, and I will try and get some better side by side shots tomorrow, hope this helps.

"This is my rifle.There are many like it, but this one is mine"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharpen it like you love it, use it like you hate it.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Paul W ().