Timber identification help please...

And please enter our 2018 Photo Calendar Competition.... July's entries are >>> here <<<
Please note that from 1st August 2017, free accounts will no longer be able to use the Conversation (PM) system. Please see >>> here <<<for details.
  • A while ago I made up a set of steak knives, a set of ten knives with a different timber on each one, this is the set...

Thing is, the identity of two of the grades of timber now escape me :S

In this photo the knife in question is the third from the left...

In this one it is the one on the left...

I do have my suspicions but lets see...

Cheers all :)

• Hi Stu

Looks like either dyed buckeye or horse chestnut burr, same family of trees so very similar, Or dyed box elder butt would be my other guess.

Both have pale coloured wood and are often dyed before stabilising.

Hope this helps

• My thoughts...

- last pic, on lhs: dyed buckeye burl

- 2nd to last pic, 3rd from left: old wild olive

...anyone who rides a bike and loves nature, can never be poor, we will always be happy, no matter what
    Gunther Muller

• Which one mate?

Sorry dude.

I thought they were the same wood. The grey one in the second picture looks like buckeye. The one in the first pic looks dyed at one end so harder to guess but thought it looked like box elder burr. It's very pale so rules ok quite a few species.

If the timbers from around the world you'd struggle to positively identify them without further info. Country of origin and so forth.

You said you had your suspicions of what they might be? What do you think they might be and it would be easier to rule out those that it's not and go from there.

Hope this helps

• Stu

I followed your images and found your picture of all of the scales before you made them into handles which give a little more info

As a guess from the left I would say the timbers are
    1) Wenge or similar
    2) cocobolo or similar
    3) Dyed Birch or Buckeye
    4) Desert iron wood
    4) Walnut
    6) Some sort of end grain, maybe brown oak. Strong rays in the timber would suggest a ring porous species
    7) Amboyna burr, maybe?
    8) Buck eye or chestnut (Dyed, the thickness of the dye throughout would suggest an open pored species allowing the dye to spread I thick lines)
    9) Birds eye maple
    10) Box Elder burr

Like I said above it's easier to rule out what it's not than guess what it is sometimes especially when there's only a little piece of it as a knife handle. If you know what they all were you could break it down to just a couple to choose from.