Looking after Stag handles

And please enter our 2018 Photo Calendar Competition.... July's entries are >>> here <<<
Please note that from 1st August 2017, free accounts will no longer be able to use the Conversation (PM) system. Please see >>> here <<<for details.
  • Hi Guys,

I have a bushcraft knife with polished Stag handles. How is it best to look after the handles when they get wet and mucky, Ive only looked after wood handles before with boiled linseed oil. I noticed the rougher bits of the stag got a bit (hairy) if thats the right word when wet and after drying. should I rub the handle down with any oi? I want to make sure the antler doesn't warp or become rough (I don't mind it taking on color with use) but then don't want to make it slippy.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
    Kev

• Hi Kev, if the antler is stabilised correctly there should be zero issues with maintainance.

"This is my rifle.There are many like it, but this one is mine"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharpen it like you love it, use it like you hate it.

• Another link from Alan's pages that may be of help

http://www.alanwoodknives.com/materials-finishes-a-care.html

"This is my rifle.There are many like it, but this one is mine"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharpen it like you love it, use it like you hate it.