The "Rob Brown" tribute thread

Help EM and UK knife making and unlock loads of premium features by buying a subscription here!
  • A year to the day ,this great man passed away

A year on and we're still talking,looking,Craving and some of us are holding his incredible work ....Something I think will continue for many many years to come

A glass raised to the great Rob Brown 🙏🏻🍻🍻🍻

• How quickly time flies.

As a tribute to the great man, here's a pic of one of his very early knives (made in 1982/'83) in my collection. This one is extra special to me since Rob made it for the great icon and founder of the South African Knifemakers Guild, Pieter Grey. I had a chat to Pieter a few weeks ago and he was kind enough to provide me with a letter of provenance.

IMG_8046_zpsjwmwpglg.jpgIMG_8047_zps6egi6p79.jpgIMG_8050_zpsr5adqxju.jpgIMG_7989_zpsftylqpnk.jpg

• - my goodness, Gerard.........what an utter graceful beaut that is!

Can you translate for the guys please...?

Apologies, here's the translation. Pieter Grey wrote:

‘Rob Brown Camping H033

This knife was made for me around 1982/83. It is 180mm long and made from stainless steel. The parts are nickel silver and the handle is a type of ebony wood from the East. The wood is from a sunken shipwreck which have washed up ashore, years before.

The sheath is made from buffalo leather. I have never used or sharpened this gorgeous knife.

Signed Pieter Grey.’

• I found incredible that in 87's (i was 1 year old at that time) someone was able to make knives with that level of execution and finish. Nowadays i think it's normal to find new makers with good level, but that is because the path was already established by veteran makers like him.

I'm sad to never had the oportunity to know such great maker.

Regards,

Kim

• Actually Kim, that was in 82/83. :) But, you are quite correct and you offer some very complementary words. What is really amazing is the flawlessness of Rob's work, even back then. Some of his later knives are totally unbelievable, even to the discerning picky collector. I have had some interaction with some of the Guild show judges and their appreciation of the work done by Rob has always been short of amazing. I think he ranks as one of the top makers at the time, even now after his death. What's also apparent is the great value for money that his knives represent to the collector. Of course, I have seen prices steadily climbing so who knows what the future may hold iro his knives. What's certain is that they are a treat and a great addition to any collection.

My only remorse is that I never got to meet Rob, but at least I get to show some of his work.

• Actually Kim, that was in 82/83. :) But, you are quite correct and you offer some very complementary words. What is really amazing is the flawlessness of Rob's work, even back then. Some of his later knives are totally unbelievable, even to the discerning picky collector. I have had some interaction with some of the Guild show judges and their appreciation of the work done by Rob has always been short of amazing. I think he ranks as one of the top makers at the time, even now after his death. What's also apparent is the great value for money that his knives represent to the collector. Of course, I have seen prices steadily climbing so who knows what the future may hold iro his knives. What's certain is that they are a treat and a great addition to any collection.

My only remorse is that I never got to meet Rob, but at least I get to show some of his work.

My mistake! 1982... that is amazing. To me he's probably one of best makers in this style. Very good vision of the design and execution.