My Old Stiletto - ID help?

And please enter our 2018 Photo Calendar Competition.... July's entries are >>> here <<<
Please note that from 1st August 2017, free accounts will no longer be able to use the Conversation (PM) system. Please see >>> here <<<for details.
  • Hello All,

Still learning your system.

I have owned this knife for a number of years now, i don't know much about it,
    can anyone help ?
    It is very dainty , with hard steel , and looks hand made.

I will try and attach a closer view of the handle. Trev

• Hello again,

Managed to upload a picture of the handle eventually

all the metalwork is very hard and does look to be hand shaped , even the balls / beads.

I don't know the age or don't even know the country of origin.

can anyone help

Trev

• There was a lot of enthusiasm in the nineteenth century for antique arms and armour, the demand was greatest amongst the newly rich owners of large houses who wanted to decorate them. The dealers of the time were quick to find a supply of well made reproductions. Your dagger may well be from this period.

• It's always risky to be specific with something that you've not seen close up but these type of things were made at that sort of time, some totally from scratch and some using earlier parts. It would be prudent to have it looked at by someone at a decent museum, the blade could be earlier but the hilt looks a bit too good to be true.

• It has many of the attributes of a poniard. Sharply tapering blade, quillons as well as the general size and shape.
    They date from the Middle ages and were most popular around 1600 (ish). Used traditionally in the opposite hand to a rapier. They were closely allied to the parrying dagger.

There is a particularly fine example in the Thinktank museum, Birmingham. The Royal Armouries has some very nice ones and the Musee l'Armee in Paris is awash with them.

Without looking at it, i don't have a Scoobies about its authenticity, but the RA would certainly help.