3rd Pattern Fairbairn-Sykes

And please enter our 2018 Photo Calendar Competition.... July's entries are >>> here <<<
Please note that from 1st August 2017, free accounts will no longer be able to use the Conversation (PM) system. Please see >>> here <<<for details.
  • Hi ladies and gents newbie here so be nice to me especially if this has been asked before! :rolleyes: 
    I am the very proud owner of a 3rd pattern Fairburne Sykes fighting knife which I'm in the process of sympathetically restoring. So to my question having gently cleaned and polished it I think it was one of the half / half knives. I.E. Bright, polished blade and originally a black handle and guard. The blacking has long since been worn off and I think I'd like to get it redone:-

1. Should I re-black it or leave it alone,
    2. If yes to re-black I think I'd like it done professionally, any suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation of any help in this matter.

Mad Medic

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional.........and a much overated concept in my not too humble an opinion!

• Ah ha thanks BKelly, I have looked at there website and was actually thinking about one of their repro's before I was lucky enough to be given an original one! :D

I'll try messaging them WHEN I read the "distructions" and figure out how to do it!

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional.........and a much overated concept in my not too humble an opinion!

• mameluke do you know I have my own doubts about re-blacking so I could be convinced yet?

Sympathetic restoration = clean & tidy up, sharpen up and give it a polish and leave it at that?

Any other opinions / votes

Sympathetic restoration?

Full restore?

• Still not sure what to do Mac Donald has offered me an excellent offer on re-blacking for which I am VERY grateful. However I am still not sure I think now leaning towards leaving it as it is showing it's rich history......maybe I comprise and keep the original as is and buy one of Mac's excellent repro's to end up with a black "worker?"

Thoughts / ideas?

• Ooops took pictures of whole collection then specifically the 3rd pattern FS BUT I used our Panasonic Bridge Camera on it's usual settings, each picture is approx. 6Mb so a tad big to upload :cursing: . So unless anybody can tell me how to reduce the size of the files on the laptop I'll have to reset the camera at a lower resolution and start all over again! :thumbdown:

• Here you go ladies and gents:-

So knife and boot / clothing sheath as far as I've got with sympathetic restore..................so my original question re-black the handle and hand guard or leave as it is? I'm leaning more and more towards leaving as it is and a some point when funds permit purchasing one of MacDonald Armouries excellent all black reproduction ones. All the best MM :thumbsup:

• It looks OK to me. I know that it's probably not in your mind to part with it but times and circumstances change. i know from experience that If you restore it to any great degree then prospective new owners will say, " I'd have bought that if you hadn't restored it ".

• Thanks Mameluke as to selling it you are right circumstances do change.......but at the moment as it was given to me by a very special friend from his personal collection for my 50th Birthday.........."Pry it out of my cold, dead fingers" would be the appropriate expression! 8o

However your excellent point, well made about potential resale value has decided me, thank you Sir. 8)

Stay as it is and save pennies for a MacDonald Armouries all black reproduction at some point in the future.

Cheers,

MM