Does anyone Use them anymore?

And please enter our 2018 Photo Calendar Competition.... July's entries are >>> here <<<
Please note that from 1st August 2017, free accounts will no longer be able to use the Conversation (PM) system. Please see >>> here <<<for details.
  • Blimey! Wasn't expecting that from you @Mr Doyle.
    Some people don't post everything they do with their knives. I attempted to light a fire just last weekend using a hearth board that I had fashioned using my L Seb 21. The bow drill didn't need any cutting as it was perfectly suited within just a few snaps :P 
    Did I post about it, no, as it would've made for a crap photo.

Regarding your complaints about carrying a tactical folder but only using it to eat food; would you rather people only mentioned that they were carrying a 'tactical blade' if they used it for its intended purpose? If so, I'm happy to say that this forum doesn't cater for such talk as it's thankfully not a daily (dare I say it, even life-time) occurrence for most people. Long may it stay that way.

Just thought I would stir things up a little. Of course there are users on here, I just really like using knives and do not like seeing draw queens that personally I would use. However, I do understand the collector side of things.
    I should also point out I now carry a 'tactical' blade every day and did indeed cut a banana with it, as well as other non tactical stuff..

• I carried a tactical knife all through my years in the military and never used it for its intended use.
    I use all my own knives for cooking,eating,daily opening of boxes and letters and any diy etc.
    I would only post what I used my knife for if it was used out of the ordinary for something of interest.
    Plenty of people don't use any of their knives and just look and collect them.I don't really share that way of thinking but as long as they enjoy their knives used or not it all good :thumbsup:

• I always carry a couple of wee totally legal EDC's, and use them for everyday tasks, opening mail, cutting food, fruit, veg (just did a bunch of aubergines for my Sicilian Spaghetti Norma recipe with one of my two Kroos) cutting labels off, sharpening the missus' make up pencils, opening bottles with the tang end of my Michael Morris, etc .... . But each day I don't have to smash a window, cut a seatbelt, or build a shelter is a result as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:

• I carried a tactical knife all through my years in the military and never used it for its intended use.
    I use all my own knives for cooking,eating,daily opening of boxes and letters and any diy etc.
    I would only post what I used my knife for if it was used out of the ordinary for something of interest.
    Plenty of people don't use any of their knives and just look and collect them.I don't really share that way of thinking but as long as they enjoy their knives used or not it all good :thumbsup:

And the Royal Air Farce allowed you to actually keep a tactical knife when you came home??? =O

Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

• Last week: lots of 6mm poly prop rope, lots of cleaning up hdpe pipe ends, lots of sample box opening, cable tie cutting, cutting rags and pencil sharpening all with my EKA folder + brush cutting with a machete.

No one wants to hear about that do they?

Regarding collecting/using. I have to call myself a collecter I suppose. I would use any knife I own (I have a few) expensive and rare or cheaper/utility, given the need.

Since stopping game shooting none of activities need more than a small folder but I love knives always have and will continue to buy, make them and participate here, just cause I like to :) .

I shall now settle myself into an armchair and fondle my Mike Read bushcrafter and imagine surviving in the wild.

Steve

• @roestalker270 i was in blues and royals mate and it was only my A2 bayonet.Not very sharp to boot :lol:
    I understand where you are going with this thread as I did a similar one about why people pay high amounts for high grade steels if they are never going to cut anything :lol: And I think the answer was because people can and everyone likes to do their own thing.whether its collecting,using,or both,I'd say same applies to your questions mate.
    People obviously still use knives for intended purposes but plenty don't and that's ok.As a maker I like to think my knives are being used but above that I want them to be enjoyed whether its a draw queen or a user doesn't matter :thumbsup:

• @roestalker270 i was in blues and royals mate and it was only my A2 bayonet.Not very sharp to boot :lol: 
    I understand where you are going with this thread as I did a similar one about why people pay high amounts for high grade steels if they are never going to cut anything :lol: And I think the answer was because people can and everyone likes to do their own thing.whether its collecting,using,or both,I'd say same applies to your questions mate.
    People obviously still use knives for intended purposes but plenty don't and that's ok.As a maker I like to think my knives are being used but above that I want them to be enjoyed whether its a draw queen or a user doesn't matter :thumbsup:

You're not far off, but I actually started the thread in pure and simple amazement of the fact that of all the subforums, the 'Using Knives' one is relatively void of threads and posts!
    Which goes against my ethos, so eloquently displayed to the world in my sig line.

To me, that's a shame. :(

Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

• Maybe I should have posted the other day when I was having a whale of a time hacking at brambles with a small locker (an Mcusta)…
    Maybe I should also start carrying more than one knife around with me at home so I have something better to tackle things like that with on hand (not that we have brambles now)

• @roestalker270 I see your point maybe people just don't do anything interesting in the way of cutting these days ? Knives are fun the things we cut not so much maybe ?

Yeah, I'd say that's spot on especially considering the nanny state we live in and how society/things can change over the years. More ring pulls, open here tabs on packets etc,....no wonder a mate said to me "I have no need for a knife" even whilst we were on a camping trip.

• Do I use knives? How do I get as fat as I am without frequenting the kitchen?
    I found a foldable SOG in BG42 to be my best small user in the kitchen as it washes up well with its plastic handle and slices well with its thin blade.
    For bigger stuff I have a dozen different carbon and stainless but SWMBO has banned my use of carbon...as a result I seem to be buying more stainless kitchen knives.
    Yes they all get used.
    More flexible stuff too.
    How many times must I bore about cutting open parcels, snipping odd bits of cotton, cutting tape, clamshells etc? All handled by my Shing 2 blader these days once I realised patients didn't like me opening an original Manix one handed while I was sorting out their foot arches or taping their sprained ankles after resetting. Yes it's not as good at the job but needs must.
    I'm banned from gardening duties (Mr Hack n Slash being my gardening name) unless i confine my efforts to watering after I used a Farid comp knife to remove a bush that was overgrowing a path, only to be told Her Majesty was growing it as a "feature".

As for survival in the wild? That's what hotels are for.

Do I collect? yes, because I like the knives I buy and I want to help support the makers so they can continue to make for those who need them.
    Will I use more? Yes, when the rest of life gives a little continuous time and space.

Always carry sometimes use, don't want to be caught without.

Knives? Are we mad? We should be talking politics and religion ..... or soap operas

• My knives get used daily for random jobs, like most folk on here I would guess, like this.............

But i would much rather be doing this............

(Contains dead stuff)

[spoller][/spoller]

Ain't life a bitch sometimes :(

"This is my rifle.There are many like it, but this one is mine"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharpen it like you love it, use it like you hate it.