Does anyone Use them anymore?

Welcome to EM's new look and feel! Please have a quick read of this post and feel free to raise any queries.
Please vote now for our April photography calendar competition winner!
There are still places left for this year's "Alt-Bardster's", in a field in mid Kent, Saturday 27th & Sunday 28th May... with camping and lamb roast! See here and here for details.
  • So which knife are you using mate? :P

I've just used an old pruning knife to cut the cable ties holding the wrapping on my new Einhell brush cutter.....

In the end, it’s better to have a knife on your belt because it works better, than a knife in your showcase because it looks better.......

• So which knife are you using mate? :P

I've just used an old pruning knife to cut the cable ties holding the wrapping on my new Einhell brush cutter.....

I've been using my Stainthoorp foldy thing to cut copper wire this morning mate. Also cut the black plastic packing straps holding a 2 meter long hole saw onto a pallet.

:thumbup:

Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

• I get the impression hardly anyone on here uses a knife much, at least not for purpose. You might carry a tactical folder, but using to eat to cut a banana (you don't want to scratch the blade on an apple) hardly counts.

Its an armchair collectors forum where people imagine surviving in the woods with a bag of knives and a pickle.

Don't get me wrong, collecting is what we do and its great, but when was the last time you made a bow drill, built a shelter with that chopper or smashed a window with your class breaker pommel and cut a seat belt..

• I get the impression hardly anyone on here uses a knife much, at least not for purpose. You might carry a tactical folder, but using to eat to cut a banana (you don't want to scratch the blade on an apple) hardly counts.

Its an armchair collectors forum where people imagine surviving in the woods with a bag of knives and a pickle.

Don't get me wrong, collecting is what we do and its great, but when was the last time you made a bow drill, built a shelter with that chopper or smashed a window with your class breaker pommel and cut a seat belt..

Blimey! Wasn't expecting that from you @Mr Doyle.

Some people don't post everything they do with their knives. I attempted to light a fire just last weekend using a hearth board that I had fashioned using my L Seb 21. The bow drill didn't need any cutting as it was perfectly suited within just a few snaps :P 
    Did I post about it, no, as it would've made for a crap photo.

Regarding your complaints about carrying a tactical folder but only using it to eat food; would you rather people only mentioned that they were carrying a 'tactical blade' if they used it for its intended purpose? If so, I'm happy to say that this forum doesn't cater for such talk as it's thankfully not a daily (dare I say it, even life-time) occurrence for most people. Long may it stay that way.

• Good point Huge,

I suppose it could get tiresome hearing about some of the crazy things done with apparently inappropriate knives, and when I say inappropriate I mean for tasks they p'raps weren't ever intended for.....

Glad you raised the point actually, because later on I was going to compose a lengthy article about which knives in my small collection excel at de cheesing my toe nails.
    The results would astound you....

However, this thread has caused me to rethink. ;)

Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

• My Spyderco Tenatious has today boned two shoulders of mutton, opened six rabblts, created small cubes our of several lumps of beef for a "proper" chilli (the wagon trains didn't, as a rule, carry a mincer, unless you count the bloke in the designer jeans and tight Mexican boots!

Along with the usual plethora of padded bags and cardboard boxes, this spidy is my first choice for any dead creature operations, except, possibly, boning a snipe!

• I did more or less destroy the edge on my pm2 on Sat, cutting large rolls of plastic that had been left outside for a year and a halt, it was the wet soil, small stones that blunted it. But it was hardish use for a sharp knife.
    It was too windy to unroll, so cut through the half foot diameter by slashing. Won't take much to touch up the blade though, but really thinking on getting a new sharpening system.

• I used a Kramer by Zwilling 8" Damascus chef knife to prep and slice some steaks on Sunday. And a large Ritter Grip to hack back a fig tree branch (1 whack through a 1" branch) that was in the way when parking the car this morning.
    And a Spyperco Chubby nicely sliced open the foil on a kit-kat at lunchtime with no trouble whatsoever.

I thought they were all appropriate uses :-). Using a Secare X to slice through the tape on a slab of cartridges a few weeks back may have been overkill; a Strider HindererXM-13 would have done the job just fine. But no one complained, in fact the chap in the car next to mine asked if he could be borrow it to perform the same task and didn't seem concerned :-)

• in fact the chap in the car next to mine asked if he could be borrow it to perform the same task and didn't seem concerned :-)

Most shooters wouldn't bat an eyelid about such things. In fact, it's always preferable that the other guy brings the knife to the gunfight! :lol: