The Jimmy Journey

And please enter our 2018 Photo Calendar Competition.... July's entries are >>> here <<<
Please note that from 1st August 2017, free accounts will no longer be able to use the Conversation (PM) system. Please see >>> here <<<for details.
  • Quick preamble / disclosure - This is not a paid for review or sponsored in any way, Jimmy doesn't even know i'm writing it at this point so hopefully a nice surprise :D

I was going to start this thread off with a "for those who don't know @Jimmypie " type introduction, but lets be honest, between here and instagram that's a pretty redundant these days, lets just say if you don't you must have been living under a rock.

I had to go digging through my emails to find out when I first picked up one of Jimmy's knives, to my surprise it was only last May, so the knives you see here span just over 7 months from the first to the most recent that arrived in January.

If you don't really do walls of text i've chucked all the pictures from this thread into an album which can be found here http://imgur.com/a/M0Did

One thing that I'd like to point out early on is the quality of Jim's kydex work. Sheaths often take a back seat when it comes to knives and are more of an afterthought than part of the package. No surprise that he was doing kydex before he was making knives, it really shows in the finished products.

Anyway, on with the first one:

This is a slightly shortened version of the first line Jim put out there, his PieSlicer (or PieFighter if you go for a top edge aswell). At the time i didn't fancy the full 300mm ish length of the original so i dropped Jim a line and asked if he'd consider doing a 3/4 length version - no problem at all. Few emails back and forth and this one came to be, along with a firesteel in matching corian and all packaged up in a handy kydex sheath.

Functionally i've used this one for general food prep and a little bit while out and about in the wilds, performs as advertised and was up to the job. Even after some abuse it's held up fine with no signs of any chipping to the edge. Tip held up fine so that speaks well of the heat treatment. Finish wise the Acid wash has held up well, the only real sign of wear is on the back of the spine where it's been used on the fire steel.

If i'm being brutally honest, the texturing on the scales here isn't all that grippy, it's prone to moving around in the hand especially when wet. If I had a do-over on this i think some G10 or micarta would probably make for a better all round choice, but overall, still a perfectly functional piece.

Think i've got these in the right order, next 2 could be swapped around, can't quite remember!

Pretty sure this is the part where Jim realised what a mistake he'd made taking that first custom order on My next ask was for a karambit esque blade without the ring. Wanted to keep this one a little classy with some wood scales but still quite thick to fill the hand. In my experience quite a lot of knives in this style are very thin which while great for their intended purpose, isn't all that comfortable for me personally.

This one ended up with a bit of back and forth over the design but as you can see it ended up pretty close to the original doodles. The kydex work on this one is a real triumph, making a sheath that has retention for a blade of that shape without it being too tight is no easy task.

Use wise, the shape of this one was always going to be more of a cool thing to have in the collection than something I'd use on a camping trip, but it makes quick work of cardboard boxes when the postman arrives!

Next up we have one that isn't actually mine, but was a fathers day present to my old man. Bit of a lucky score as if i remember right this was made for someone else who didn't go through with the sale (or something along them lines).

Out of the blades here this is probably the one that's seen the most abuse. Relatively simple design with a paracord wrap and a quick sheath. This did originally have belt loops on there but they were borrowed for another project and never returned Most of the use it's seen has been down the allotment, which if you'd seen the edge last time it landed back on my desk you'd think meant chopping bricks Fortunately it's took it like a champ and is still going strong. I have no doubt this has been used to pry open paint cans and all sorts but i daren't ask for fear of the horror stories that would emerge :D

Back to my own now, with the one that i use the most often:

Yep, it's a boring old kitchen knife i'm afraid. What? You thought i got to this size without eating? :D

When this originally came it was a satin finish but i decided it needed bluing in a moment of madness. Honestly i have no idea what i was thinking at the time but it's done now so here we are! Still a great all rounder in the kitchen, only downside is now I pretty much refuse to use anything else as this is what i've got used to. The blade shape is a bit of a jack of all trades which is handy as i still don't really have a clue what all those different chefs knives are made for :D If you keep an eye on Jim's posts you'll know he's just put out a pair of more traditional chefs knives which I've really got an itching for, so watch this space on that one.

Kydex work here is more of a cover than anything tacticool. Obviously you could try belt mounting it, why you would i'm not sure, but hey, horses for courses and all that!

Now we're getting into serious territory (and where i should have had a bigger mouse mat )

This was a bit of a crazy idea that turned out wayyyy better than i could have ever hoped. I spend a lot of my time doodling and fired a quick message over to the tune of "what's the biggest knife you can fit in your oven?". I'll not go into the expletives that followed but 500mm was mentioned and here we are. Played around in illustrator a bit and came up with this beast of a design which is affectionately known as the Big Chopper.

I'm not normally a lover of the whole zombie thing, but you know what, if the shoe fits I'll take it. The main thing i like about this is even though it's blown up to a stupid size, the fit and finish is still spot on. From the liners to the blade itself, everything lines up perfectly and the finish is just what you'd expect. The acid splatter on the blade is great and hides the signs of abuse well (i've taken down a couple of small 6" thick trees with this and you'd never know it to look at it. Sheath wise this was when i started getting into leather so i ended up doing my own on this - saved jim some work although i'm sure finding a way to ship it safely made up for any time saved :D

That brings us pretty much up to date. Just one (well two if you count the little guy) left from January:

These guys were a bit of a treat to myself. I've always fancied a combo like this just for the utility, an oversized 350mm blade for the big tasks, and a small backup for the more delicate jobs. These were the first to leave the shop with the new Pi logo which i've got to say really sets off the overall look of them. Jimmy's got his own style by this point and you can usually spot one of his blades just from the shape of it, but this is the icing on the cake.

The sheath on these 2 is top notch, probably not to everyone's taste as it's a bit loud with the orange, and weighs a fair bit, but it does a great job of keeping the pair to hand on a belt.

The blades themselves both arrived with the edges broken on a belt but not sharpened (at my request) so i got to work on the wicked edge and got them both up to scratch pretty quickly - nearly removing my thumb in the process with the big one Lesson learned to take my time!

I've not had chance to give these 2 a proper hammering just yet as the weather's been pretty naff, i'm a fair weather outdoorsman, sue me :P but i've no doubts they'll be just as up to the task as everything else.

So there you have it, 7 knives in 7 months from the workbench of @Jimmypie - Can't wait to see what the next 7 months brings :thumbsup:

Cheers

Rob

• agree to all the above :) 
    I recently had a pie slicer from jimmypie its held up very well taken a lot of punishment no problem with chipped edges etc even when I hammered through big pine knots :D .

The sheath is also very good nice fit no rattle etc.

Looking forward to see jimmypies future creations :thumbup:

• Great write up and photos Rob, thanks for taking the time.
    It has indeed been very enjoyable watching The Pieman's pretty rapid entry and rise into the knife making scene, and the ongoing steps up the ladder. It has already been mentioned by other posters that the last couple of months in particular has seen a definite style evolving, and the next few months could be very interesting indeed.
    Sincere congratulations on your success so far Jim, it is well deserved, to say the least :thumbup:

"This is my rifle.There are many like it, but this one is mine"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharpen it like you love it, use it like you hate it.

• Another arrival today from Jimmy which a few of you probably got to fondle at the show... Luckily nobody put their hands in their wallet so it's found its way into my grubby mitts :D

Little bit of an oddball design which is right up my street. 12" OAL with a 6" blade, sharp both sides for a rather strange camp knife / dagger combo affectionately named "just because" by the man himself.

Fit and finish is top notch, all the bevels line up and the attention to detail on the scales is pretty damn amazing. Sheath is a bit of a step away from the normal friction fit and relies on the strap for retention, but that means it's easy to get in and out without any hassle and there's no risk of any dirt or grit getting in there and spoiling the blade finish, not that it'll be staying shiny and clean for long :evil:

Not really had chance to do anything with it than think impure thoughts just yet, but i'm sure it'll find a sound, if slightly abusive home in the collection :D

Thanks again @Jimmypie :beer: