Cooking over fire - Francis Mallmann

Help EM and UK knife making and unlock loads of premium features by buying a subscription here!
  • Hope this is the right place to put this, Mods, please move if it's not...

I'd like to share something that might appeal to you outdoorsy types, to the odd cook, and to the odd firebug on here. The video is a bit mannered, but Francis' knowledge of cooking with fire is probably second to none, and he's a bloody good chef!

Argentina is always a controversial place, but to me it's like a spiritual second home. I grew up speaking English and Spanish in a place where it was very much the exception, and in Argentina found a place where to a large part of the population it is second nature. Throw in the food, the wine, the pace of living, attitude to friends and family, passion for life, living every moment like it is the biggest high or the biggest low, and it is where I would like to be. Shame about the negative aspects of the place...
    Anyway, a bit of an overshare there, sorry about that! Enjoy the video (it's about 25 mins or so, so make sure you're settled in).

click for video, couldn't work out how to embed

• - great, I'm going to watch that later with m' feet up and a malt...

(just copy the url top left on your browser and paste straight into your post..........voila, it comes up embedded)

...anyone who rides a bike and loves nature, can never be poor, we will always be happy, no matter what
    Gunther Muller

• - had kept this to watch sometime, and just managed it............only difference being it was a nice glass of Merlot, not malt ;)

Well, Rich..............I reckon we need to plan a trip like this some day - I'd love to do this/similar - why not....?

...anyone who rides a bike and loves nature, can never be poor, we will always be happy, no matter what
    Gunther Muller

• It's a long way away, but worth the trip, absolutely spectacular part of the world. Not sure if he takes guests on the Island, but there's no harm in asking. If that fails, he has a restaurant in Buenos Aires - BA flies direct from London a few times a week...
    In the meantime, maybe a practice run in the UK sometime? There are a few farm butchers round here who would prepare the right cuts of meat, I have a tentative plan to build a wood fired oven in the garden next year, and have the odd bottle of Malbec in the cellar.

• Thanks a lot for posting that Rich.

That was a great program. The production was really good, the subject was fascinating, and I really enjoyed the presenters' style. I see what you mean about it being mannered, but for my taste, a good way to start a Sunday morning. :)

In short, I really really want to go to Argentina now & meet / eat with Mr. Mallmann. Also to America to eat at Ed Lee's! :D

• True. That's another country I'd love to visit one day.

A kiwi mate of mine suggested doing a hungi at our place once. Haven't got around to it yet, but one of these days we will. The point is, he was very surprised when I told him I'd experienced them a couple of times here in the UK. Would be fun to try & do one myself, I must admit.

But I need to learn, practice, & get my skills up before I embarrass myself - make a good damper, work out how to cook in a Dutch oven, etc. A lot of my friends are very good outdoor cooks, and Dutch ovens are very popular amongst the Ozzy outdoor community.

Oddly though, you very, very seldom see a solid fuel braai. They almost exclusively use gas & my wife's family & friends take the mick out of my braai. Basically they mostly al agree that a solid fuel makes things taste better, but gas is so much quicker & easier so they can't be bothered.

One drawback of a braai - living in a fire risk environment gets the neighbours excited when they smell smoke. ;)

• - we did a hungi down at Bardsters couple years ago, very good too.

I guess if you get enough of a fire going, the correct structure, depth and firewood - you can do a lot.

Always use a charcoal braai here in London, and, with the kettle Webers you can now get, a pretty decent meal can be accomplished.

Gunther Muller

• Yep, one of my GCLRO club friends is famous for her field baking skills, especially scones.

Jack-Jack (AKA JHobson of BB) did an astonishingly good feed at his gathering a couple of months ago, using the Asador / Iron Cross method in that video to cook a pair of beasts.

And still my favourite ever salmon is the ponessed salmon done at a bushcraft weekend several years ago, which uses the same sort of Asador technique.

Outdoor cooking is one life skill I'd really like to master, if I ever find the time! I'm supposed to be creating BMS graphics right now! :lol:

Better get back to it!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ratel10mm: Edit: GCLRO = Gold Coast Land Rover Owners. The Australian GC, not the RSA one. ().