Aaah, Chris Reeve!

Help EM and UK knife making and unlock loads of premium features by buying a subscription here!
  • Hi, I’ve no intention of building a vast collection like some of you guys but there are a few I’d really like to own and I can’t foresee a time I’ll want to sell up but I suppose you can never say never, is it really necessary to save all these boxes, I don’t want to go through life accumulating stacks of cardboard. Does it make much difference in value?

• is it really necessary to save all these boxes, I don’t want to go through life accumulating stacks of cardboard. Does it make much difference in value?

Only if you are planning on moving the knives on later, boxes & other maker paraphernalia will always add a bit more appeal & value to the 2nd hand market, particularly where the collectors are concerned.

"This is my rifle.There are many like it, but this one is mine"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharpen it like you love it, use it like you hate it.

• Hi, I’ve no intention of building a vast collection like some of you guys but there are a few I’d really like to own and I can’t foresee a time I’ll want to sell up but I suppose you can never say never, is it really necessary to save all these boxes, I don’t want to go through life accumulating stacks of cardboard. Does it make much difference in value?

In the bali world we have a saying, "it's all about the box".

On reselling, the box really does make all the difference in a knife's value.

And with some knives, it's the only way to know if it's real or a knock off.

Having said that, my upbringing was heavily Japanese influenced, and we always think that the way something is presented, (in this instance the packaging) speaks volumes.

I remember getting my first Mason, and when I saw the box and the way the knife was presented, it told me so much more about the feeling the maker had for both his product and his customers.

I respected Mr Mason even more than I already did, before I even opened the box.

• I appreciate your thoughts guys, I am hesitant to get rid but I try to go through life without accumulating too much crap. Obviously I’ll keep the birth cards. Maybe future sales will all be done face to face if the government have their way and authenticity can be assessed by hand rather than pictures of correct packaging?

• To a collector, the box will still have value and meaning.

I know so many people who wished they kept the box, to get the extra $200 on a sale…….

I just get a larger box and keep the knife boxes together in it, and just tuck it away in a cupboard or the loft.

Seriously, keep them, you will be grateful of them later.

I have one Hibben knife that has the original box from Gil in Utah, stamped and franked with the date.

That adds serious value to the knife, and when Gil saw in, he was well chuffed.

His wife Linda hadn't even seen the original boxes and said "it was history."

• As mentioned above, keep the box if you want a few extra quid if you sell. It's not about the authenticity checking, though it helps in a tiny way (a fake box would be alarm bells about the authenticity of the knife, but a genuine box doth not a genuine knife make!).

The boxes have been through a few iterations in recent years. I prefer the old corrugated cardboard ones, even if they resulted in bent paperwork due to being too narrow. The new ones feel a bit too generic to me, though definitely keep the knife and paperwork more secure in transit.

• I appreciate your thoughts guys, I am hesitant to get rid but I try to go through life without accumulating too much crap. Obviously I’ll keep the birth cards. Maybe future sales will all be done face to face if the government have their way and authenticity can be assessed by hand rather than pictures of correct packaging?

On the knock off point, that wasn't aimed at your Reeve, but knives in general.

Certain discontinued Benchmade's are faked in their thousands in China, especially the BM 42's.

From my point, I have every current HOM Basilisk R, and the TI version has had three runs, probably 150 each run.

Jerry however did a limited ano'd version in gold, blue and green, and there were only 16 of each colour.

The only thing that denotes it to be one of the limited colour TI Basilisks is the sticker on the box.

Anyone could take a standard TI Basilisk, ano the handles and say it's one of only 16 produced.

But if they don't have the box, I aint buying it. :)

Mark, keep the boxes, they do have a value when reselling, but I will admit some of my CR's do not have boxes, but when he handmade them in the beginning they did not come in boxes ( and in recent times ) I know Frank has hinted to you what I have and if you want any advise send me a PM I would be willing to help but Frank as a personal friend of Chris's and his oldest dealer he is always the best option.

• That’s much appreciated Richard, I don’t think I’ve had a conversation with Frank yet where your name wasn’t mentioned, it would be great to see some pics of your collection, you did hint earlier we’d get to see your latest acquisitions at least :)

• Hi guys, I managed to get one last knife from Frank before his prices went back up, a L21 drop point. Out of the box I noticed lock up was later than my others, about 65%ish. I took it apart to fit the lanyard, cleaned and relubed it and after putting it back together lock up is now about 55%. The only change I made was to turn the screws over so the female is now opposite the lock side, makes it easier for me to reassemble lying flat. I can only guess that maybe the lock pin is slightly thicker on one side? Does this sound right? Very happy with it anyway.