Hydraulic press experience/advice please

Help EM and UK knife making and unlock loads of premium features by buying a subscription here!
>>>>>> WIN a KNIFE THREAD IS LIVE, HERE!! <<<<<<
  • I am planning a hydraulic forge press and wondered if 30 tons at 12mm/s (at full load) is adequate and better than 50 tons at 7mm/s? V grateful for experienced views, I have read some on it of course but before I embark on this thought to consult the EM base first. It will be used for smallish surface area billets mostly, say (10mm x ) 25mm x 80mm. Thanks, Ignatius

• 30 tons would be plenty. I know you have seen some of my billets and they have been pressed on a 6ton converted logsplitter. That presses flats fine but struggles with v dies.

Hope this helps

Quick edit, my billets are 40mm x 75mm and varying thickness. 25mm width seems small?

Only Worry About What You Can Control----Don't Stand Where Thar Can Sit, Don't Sit When Thee Can Lay

• Thanks, I will try John, not on IG yet Stew

Thanks Da Main Mouse Yes it is, for folders, for practice, for now🙂 I am encouraged by your experience. You have some great steels!

Let's see what comes up here in the meantime anyway

• it all depends exactly on what you want to do... I am currently looking at purchasing a press from John N Made by anyang they are pretty trixy and well made looking bits of kit.

30 tonns at 12mm's will be better than 50 tonns at 7mm a sec. quicker would be better.

with normal hydraulic pumps both of those will require a reasonably big motor.

• Blademaster The motor is 4hp. Looking at san mai first then small pattern weld billets, maybe... I have also kind of thought quicker is better TBH, so heat (softness) isn't lost too quickly, meaning wasted tonnage. Can you share the press' details or John's username please? (Or on PM if you prefer). The pump I am looking at is £1.2K and the ram about £300. I will build the frame and it will be a manually operated double acting press, for now, I would love a foot switch but the budget is not there.

Da Main Mouse Is your splitter rig electrically driven screw type or hydraulic fluid type? I wondered if the screw type allows for a quicker squeeze than hydraulic in those? Also of course, hydraulics are presumably more maintenance prone? If you are able to produce those beautiful pattern welds and laminations on it it makes me wonder whether the outlay for a big build is justified.

• I built my own press , around £1500 using second hand parts... and around 4 or 5 man days

the hydraulic pluming valving etc add up switches etc add up.

I use my press mainly for punching , but used it for heavy forging before I got a big hammer, it worked very well forging hot big section stock .18 tonne and 2 inch a second. 7.5hp

the Anyang press is a trixy variable pump press in single phaze or 3 phaze 3kw motor.(i think), have a look here:-

its £4500 but that price will probably go up, it seems very good value to me. I think I will get one this year and am juggling between their 25 tonne and 50 tonne press (which is considerably more pricy). professionally built machine for less than I could make it.....

• Da Main Mouse Is your splitter rig electrically driven screw type or hydraulic fluid type? I wondered if the screw type allows for a quicker squeeze than hydraulic in those? Also of course, hydraulics are presumably more maintenance prone? If you are able to produce those beautiful pattern welds and laminations on it it makes me wonder whether the outlay for a big build is justified.

Mine is hydraulic. I paid £125 damaged box from screwfix. It is most certainly nothing like the other mentioned above. But for the money and a weekend with a welder it has more than paid for itself as you have seen.

Mine is also manual valve no switchs. A foot pedal would be easy to convert if you havnt got cash now. Even a few wires and a pedal will do?

If you have cash to build something around 30tons with a reasonable rate of travel i wouldnt hesitate to get it. You wont regret it. It will be more than capable

Only Worry About What You Can Control----Don't Stand Where Thar Can Sit, Don't Sit When Thee Can Lay

• Mine is hydraulic. I paid £125 damaged box from screwfix. It is most certainly nothing like the other mentioned above. But for the money and a weekend with a welder it has more than paid for itself as you have seen.

Mine is also manual valve no switchs. A foot pedal would be easy to convert if you havnt got cash now. Even a few wires and a pedal will do?

If you have cash to build something around 30tons with a reasonable rate of travel i wouldnt hesitate to get it. You wont regret it. It will be more than capable

Wow, that is a cost effective build, jealous now. I also like fixing/upcycling. Thanks for taking time to respond. I am so looking foward to building either the hydraulic press or converting a splitter, will try and make up my mind tomorrow...

• Ill put some pics up when i get in from work if that helps you make up your mind, for an ontro its worth every penny and i wouldn't be without it. If i had 1500quid spare to build a beast i would probably spend that on building a trip hammer.

• Hello ! Ive got the anyang 25 ton presses in stock, as Owen posted above. Very slick professionally built machine. Welcome to come and try one at my works in Manchester. shoot me a message on here, or I am @non_jic on instagram. 3 kw, and I can offer it in single or 3 phase electrics. I do a bit of bladesmithing so am familiar with the applications.

Don't want to put my company details on here, as it muddies the water between me and company if someone googles the company, and finds all the drivel I post. :D

• Sorry for the delay but work has been mad.

Ill try to describe what is what as we go.

First of all the machine in its entirety.

Due to the length of the ram and lack of headroom you can see that the bottom jaw is what moves.

The pink bit is the foot pedal conversion.

Here is a photo showing how i got around having to have a safety power button depressed aswell as the actual lever which controls oil flow having to be moved to get it to work. (hope that makes sense?)

Next up is where the original log splittery bit was, this part of the casing had thicker wall thickness than the rest so this is where the new mounts went for the top malarkey.

The casing is in fact also the resovoir for the oil and the ram iself is mounted to the two top/bottom flanges.

Next shows the adjustable height top jaw and the sliding arrangement for the bottom jaw. This must be substantial and also very little play or it just banana everything you put under it.

You can just abkut make out the guides holding dies in place.

Hope this helps someone out there if not yourself.

It stands me at about £130.i added an extra contactor to take the hheavy switching repeatedly and thats about it. It has made a good 10 billets of damascus and lots of other more normal pieces of various bearings etc and hasnt let me down.

The downsides....

Of course there are some, lol

Novices cannot control the actuation with any degree of precision due to the strange nature of making it work. A couple of weekends finally had me not squeezing everything to death.

Due to it being a press it really starts to struggle with thin squeezes, ie below 10-12mm, after this normal hand hammering takes over.

To conclude....

Am i glad i have it? Undoubtedly.

If i had more money would i upgrade it? No, i would spend the money on a hammering device.

Would i say the same if i had no noise considerstions? It is much quieter than any hammer, my workshop is approx 35m from the house and it is almost undetectable from within the house. A slight knock with a hammer however is not.

• That is brilliant thanks Da Main Mouse !

Like the adjustable height. Did you have to make a return switch or did you just upgrade the existing system?

Do you mean it struggled with thin sections because of heat loss? If so or otherwise, can you say why pls?

I agree re the noise of a hammer, not wanting too much negative attention now...

I have been looking at log splitters and press builds on Youtube most of the last 2 days, brain is fried now.

BTW when can we see some more of your beautiful damascus😉?