Bark River Knives ??

Help EM and UK knife making and unlock loads of premium features by buying a subscription here!
>>>>>> WIN a KNIFE THREAD IS LIVE, HERE!! <<<<<<
  • Hello Turnip ive no personal experience of BRK but the general concensus seems to be they are very sharp out of the box but one or two of them can suffer because of that. There's been a few problems with them chipping due to being ground too thin behind the edge and being very hard. Seems to be the ones in A2 that suffer the most.

If you Google BRK chipping a number of threads on Blade forum will come up.

• Thanks guys! hmm... a lot more reading to do on these by the looks of it!

Might just take a punt if one pops up 2nd hand at the right price.

Could you chaps suggest some alternative knives with a convex that might be worth a look?

I virtually never see decent ones 2nd hand. And if there are they are usually not much of a saving

Could you chaps suggest some alternative knives with a convex that might be worth a look?

One of their biggest selling points is that they're one of very few companies that provide a zero ground convex (whether they truly are is another matter, and I think discussed in the threads Jim linked to). The only other production company I can think of may possibly be Fiddleback Forge, but the ones I've seen may well have been modified by their owners. Things also may have changed because of the move to being more production rather than 'custom'.

Failing that, go custom.

• I've owned and used a couple and moved them both on, both of mine were OK in the F&F dept, but they went through a really bad patch with both poor QC & dodgy HT, and getting a good one was a bit like rolling a dice, i don't know if this is still relevant.

If you need to scratch an itch with a convexed edge, you could always try a used Falkie F1 or similar.

"This is my rifle.There are many like it, but this one is mine"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharpen it like you love it, use it like you hate it.

I think the Fallkniven’s have a convex grind, F1 etc

• I would say they have a record of inconsistency, which is why you get such different experiences reported by users. I would say ‘try before you buy’, but that will only allow you to spot poor fit and finish, you won’t find whether there is a burnt edge or poor heat treat until they fail. At that point I have little confidence in their customer service, which seems equally inconsistent (sometimes great, sometimes not good enough for my liking).

I had a Bravo which seemed a good performer, but I just didn’t feel like I could support the company when there are makers around who will consistently stand by their product.

As for alternatives, as hughtrimble said, Fiddleback Forge do convexes, but mine are older ones. Fallkniven H1 is a popular choice ( Paul W recommends). The knife I own with the most similar performance is an Ahti Leuku which is a kind of sabre grind with a convex edge for a fraction of the price.

• H1 is a great knife, but as with a lot of the Falkies, will not be suitable for users with large hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Had several Bark River's in the past, made not long after the company started (when Mike Stewart went from Marbles to setting up Bark River), as well as a vintage Blackjack 1-7.

As I was fairly avidly into knives from the 1980's through to 2000, I've read and seen various controversies. Nothing to add on that. My personal experiences were good, but back then the prices were a lot less (early-mid 2000's). Now, with the way pricing is, there is a lot of competition within the £200+ range. I also had Fallkniven's, again, the price being a lot more palatable then.

Regarding Blackjack, I recall MS saying some of the Seki made stuff was crap, and so he decided to move all production to the US. Same happened with Pacific Cutlery (I've handled a micarta Monarch folder that was bodged up with epoxy and should never have left the factory. Bottom line: quality control can be crap anywhere). Ken Warner bought the name and introduced some interesting Seki made models, as well as US made models by Mike Stewart. From what I remember the US ones were tried and tested designs in 1095. One of the other forums has a post that says Warner sold the name to Blue Ridge, a US based distributor. How and what they do now I've no idea.

From reading around various comments on other forums, people may have a good point when they say Bark River try to do too much. With numerous new and different models, you don't get the kind of field testing a more established design gets, not least in respect of heat treat, steel choice, and seeing what works best.

On a personal level I liked the Fallkniven's more, particularly the S1 'Forest Knife'. I'd happily recommend that anytime. The A1 I thought had too thick a convex bevel for me.

Most recent purchase was a Terava 140. These and the smaller 110 in particular, are getting rave reviews.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en…puukko-carbon-steel/56524

• I do like the look of the Terava puukkos in your link, and their larger sibling Skrama is already a proven workhorse, do the smaller puukkos come with a zero scandi grind from the factory, or have they got a microbevel?

EDIT:-

Just read the info :thumbup: