A Way to use up Forklift Chain attempt 3!

Help EM and UK knife making and unlock loads of premium features by buying a subscription here!
  • So those of you following the WIP threads will have seen my first two attempts at working with this awful material go wrong spectacularly.

The first simply would not weld, the 2nd,well i had a butterfingers moment and dropped it straight from the quench. PING. DAMN.

So not to be put off its only a fail when you dont try again, till then its a learning curve lol.

So her we go again...

I started with forklift chain(well scruffy)

Some outer races of some big bearings(52100)

And leftover bits of 15n20.

Chain looked like this...

Bearings wer half shells. Heres one flattened on top of the other waiting to be flattened...

Next stich the chain together ready for welding....

This was then drawn down into a bar, cut and rewelded stretched out again to help purify the steel....

Stacked and rewelded....

More to follow shortly...

Only Worry About What You Can Control----Don't Stand Where Thar Can Sit, Don't Sit When Thee Can Lay

• So after that was rewelded and flattened out again the bar was assembled like this...

The thick bits being chain and the rest alternating layers of 15n20 and 52100.

Here is the bar after welding.

Very dark grey black is bearing casing

Silver lines 15n20

The grey is the chain...

Then i decided to pattern the billet, using surface manipulation.

I choose an offset pyramid structure shown below before forging flat again....

Before a final grind and sticking some handle pieces together...

In some of the layers you can still see the pins of the forklift chain..

More to follow shortly...

Only Worry About What You Can Control----Don't Stand Where Thar Can Sit, Don't Sit When Thee Can Lay

• And here it is finished, this is goin for free to the supplier of the chain so i certainly didnt spend my usual time finalising it but still....

Blade is 1.8mm thick. Flat ground no bevel. The front is beveled and to be used as a scraper.

Handle is stacked red melee with g10 spacers and brass.

Plastic welded kydex sheath.

Hope youv enjoyed its creation,

As is usual all comments, questions and criticism is welcome.