Mosaic Damascus WIP

Help EM and UK knife making and unlock loads of premium features by buying a subscription here!
  • Here we go again then..

Starting with the usual 1095 /15n20 combo two billets were made.

1 using a 1to1 stacking the other 2to2 stacking.

The strips were cut laboriously with a grinder from 3mm sheet to 75mmx35mm plates.

These were then stacked 24fold.

Like this..

edgematters.uk/wcf/attachment/43941/

2 of these were created.

It was at this point i realised i had no flux. ;(

edgematters.uk/wcf/attachment/43942/

Big Oh No moment. Too late now so i carried on. Nothing like a fluxless forgeweld in a coke forge to test the cleanliness of your fire.

The first went fine. The second. Well we lost 3 layers. Im sure this was between two stacked layers of 15n20. So the now 24layer and 21 layer were forged to a 25mm hex and twisted 5 turns before being forged back squared and drawn out to 17mm.

Like this

Before being surface ground nice smooth and square. (and lazily).

A bar of 52100 ball bearing casing was also drawn out and ground at this time.

Still not enough material.

Cue el monstrous chainus...

• This was squished out from roughly 16outerlinks to a 25mm square rod before being stacked x4 and stretched down to 17mm square.

My view of the forge welding....

Now they have al joined each other to be kissed on the grinder to ensure squareness and and heights.

Next step a quick 2 sec etch to check the good metal and orientation ready for mosaicing. If thats even a word ^^

Time consumed to this point on paper stands at 154hours...

Realistically i think half of that is probably closer and even then numerous distractions influence that.

Hope you enjoy the build so far

Only Worry About What You Can Control----Don't Stand Where Thar Can Sit, Don't Sit When Thee Can Lay

• So next instalment...

A quick 5sec etch in ferric chloride so we can see whats good and whats not..

The rods were chopped into 80mm long bars, cleaned up good of etch and assembled like so.

Here you can see from the coloured ends the orientation of the bars

Tmorow welding!

Only Worry About What You Can Control----Don't Stand Where Thar Can Sit, Don't Sit When Thee Can Lay

• To carry on..

Cleaned stacked and tacked.

edgematters.uk/wcf/attachment/44004/

Until now i was happy with my hydraulic log splitter press. However it really struggled with my new squaring dies for this project. So it was painfully slow progress.

It squishs good in one plane but with the mosaic really requiring the squash in two directions at once. This is to ensure not to shear the oposing welds during the forge welding, i had to continue until iwas happy the welds were good and set.

This took a whole afternoon and looks like this...

Now back to the grinder. Prepping and squaring ready for blocking again as a four stack.

Enjoy til next time...

• So sometimes things dont quite go to plan.

I had a strange feeling using the chain damascus was going to bite me.

It all started when this developed during the above grinding edgematters.uk/wcf/attachment/44076/

This was clearly visable in the chain damascus.

I ended up grinding 2mm off till i could see no more, however at this stage to find this truly put a foreboding feeling over forcoming proceedings.

Hmmm :/

Neway after 8days work im GOING to carry on.... :thumbsup:

Cut stacked in 4

edgematters.uk/wcf/attachment/44077/

Welded in the same process before twisting.

I gave the bars 3whole turns.

All of this process start to finish has been carried out at forgewelding heat.

As soon as i started to twist the bar i knew it didnt feel right. Crumbly inside almost.

Externally you could see nothing. Yet i knew damage was done.

Immediately after puting under the squaring dies the problem was apparent.

I tried cleaning out the crevice, fluxing and then putting under the flatting dies to try close them out.

No Chance.

edgematters.uk/wcf/attachment/44078/

Until i get more steel this thread will have to drown in tears of sweat until a new billet rears from the ashes.

A new billet without any forklift leaf chain in it.

Heres a quick look at the build sheet for time/materials wasted,sorry time spent learning.........

edgematters.uk/wcf/attachment/44079/

Until more steel turns up..........

• I feel i should explain further. Like iv lied lol.

I was determined to know what happened so i chopped it and etched it.

The only thing that had changed between this mosaic and any other was the addition of squaring dies for my press. I long suspected it wasn't quite man enough but has saved so much hammertime i refused to believe it.

This is proof in the pudding so to speak.

This is the culprit..

4 tons fast acting converted logsplitter.

Heres how iv sussed it.

The first welds were done fluxless and under my normal flatting dies, as you can clearly see these are nice and clean. I believe this is because the press has enough pressure over the flat pinch to squeeze out impurities.

The second and final welds clearly rubbish pointed out here, were surface ground smooth faces and welded. Same temps and soak time. No hammering same as the first but square dies.....

Need a bigger press me reckons.

Note the bar wa etched and was clean looking before stacking for the final weld as pictured above. So the problem has only become apparent as the pattern is stretched?

If anyone has any input on this id like to hear it.?