Competition >> Sheffield Dagger <<

Help EM and UK knife making and unlock loads of premium features by buying a subscription here!
  • A piece of Sheffield history for someone...

Often referred to as a William Rodgers WW2 Fighting Knife.

Some history

A Sheffield, England-made dagger bearing the William Rodgers marks. Rodgers was established in the 1830's and was a well-known and well respected Sheffield maker during it's glory days. The company and its famous "I Cut My Way" mark were sold to John Clarke & Sons in the mid 1850's.

These types of daggers were common private purchase weapons for British soldiers during WWII. I do not know how old this one is, but based on the design and the sheath it could easily date the that period or earlier.

The knife has seen moderate use and remains in excellent, original condition. It was beautifully made and remains solid as a rock. The narrow, carbon steel blade has been lightly buffed and displays a gorgeous, natural carbon patina. The blade looks to be very near full and is free of any significant corrosion and has minor pitting with just some light peppering.

The blade is free of any grinder marks or sharpening scratches and is pretty good, could do with a sharpen The blade shows no signs of abuse or harsh treatment. The guard is of brass and completely tight. The handle is of stacked leather, though though I know some were stacked hardwood. The handle is completely tight as well. All washers are solid and free of any dry rot or cracks. There is a small dent or two but nothing serious. I have never seen another one of these with this type of handle. They've always been either stacked leather or stag. All handle components are correctly aligned and the knife has never been disassembled. The aluminum alloy pommel is also solid and completely tight.

The knife has an exceptional feel and would have been quite a formidable weapon in its time. The control is excellent and the knife is very agile and fast. The knife measures 10-1/2" in overall length. The sheath appears to be the original. It is free of any damage with just normal wear. The sheath is simply marked (Made in Sheffield, England).

The prize

Sheffield%20dagger%2001.jpg

Sheffield%20dagger%2002.jpg

To Enter

You must be a subscribing member with minimum of 100 posts

The competition

Recently I was away with a handful of Harley mates on a long w/e to northern France.

Make all the jokes you like about two-wheel tractors etc., but we don't hang around.

So how far did we go that weekend....how many miles....? (home back to home)

We started from SW London on early Friday morning, caught the 07.50 Eurotunnel and we reached our hotel in Rouen, via the coastal routes and twisties at 16.30.

On Saturday we left the hotel and had a long circuitous route through the countryside and down many delightful C roads. We were a bit far out and had to blat along a motorway for the last 40mins to reach the hotel by 19.50 to get changed for dinner.

Sunday - leaving at 10.00 we went back to Coquelles Terminal via scenic routes once more, caught the 16.50 train and then popped out at Folkstone but did scenic roads for a short while before jumping back on the M20/M25 to home.

Many of the roads travelled were via https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.…_parts/content_prod/37163 .....to which I have no relationship/affiliation whatsoever, just love the roads :thumbsup:

Comp ends 5pm 10th November

Some photos ( those offended by Harleys, look away now...)

01.jpg

More pics:

...anyone who rides a bike and loves nature, can never be poor, we will always be happy, no matter what
    Gunther Muller

• Thats lucky have got 101 posts :thumbup:

With the intention of collecting a few military knives, have bought my first Kabar from the marketplace but this looks a beauty and would have pride of place if i was to win it, fingers crossed!

Looks like a great weekend Paul and I'm gonna go for 757 miles

• Not much better than military knives and Harleys.

I've got a little experience with both, and used to ride a Harley XL Sportser before bearded men blew my legs off. :S
    In the meantime I have to fit a Kliktronic device. Sacrilege, I know.

I'm still a noob here and promise not to debase the forum to make up the required post count.
    Love the knife, love the bikes, love life. 8)

• Chui  

That's a lovely knife. I know it's not appropriate for me to enter the comp but it is a lovely knife <3 Assuming you guys didn't take any mud plugging short cuts in your 2WD Masseys..;)

695 -DARJAC666

724 - Jaggededge

757 - Bam

850 - Steve J

1245 - Da Main Mouse

1595 - Cuss

1736 - Martin A

• 2- Zackerty

695 -DARJAC666

724 - Jaggededge

757 - Bam

800- Hepotec

850 - Steve j

1245 - Da Main Mouse

1595 - Cuss

1736 - Martin A

1836-Iron Hoarder

1998 - XamaX

Thanks for the comp!

Whoever dies with the most tools wins. Now accepting donations.
    I buy knives and tools of all kinds. Job lots preferred.

• 2- Zackerty

695 -DARJAC666

724 - Jaggededge

725 Ignatius

757 - Bam

800- Hepotec

850 - Steve j

1245 - Da Main Mouse

1595 - Cuss

1736 - Martin A

1836-Iron Hoarder

1998 - XamaX