Nick's Lamb/Goat Curry Recipe

Help EM and UK knife making and unlock loads of premium features by buying a subscription here!
  • (Fluffy's Request)

Nick’s Lamb or Goat Curry

Ingredients: (serves 4)

Lamb - 4 neck fillets of lamb cut into chunks or equivalent in diced goat

Tomatoes - 2 finely chopped

Onions - 2 finely chopped
    Garlic - 3 or 4 cloves - finely grated
    Ginger - Volume of 2 man’s fingers - finely grated

Ghee (for preference) or oil - 2-3 tablespoons

Whole dry spices:
    Cloves - 8-10
    Whole peppercorns - 8-10
    Black cardamons - 6-8
    Green cardamons - 6-8
    Cassia bark - 2 pencil sized pieces
    Bay leaves - 2-3

Powders:
    Chilli powder - 1.5 teaspoons or so
    Turmeric - 1.5 teaspoons
    Salt - 2 teaspoons or to taste.

For later:
    Cumin seeds - one tablespoon - dry roasted and then ground to coarse powder (or can use powder but it’s not as good)
    A 1/4 of grated nutmeg

Can also add 1 teaspoon of garam masala of dry roasted whole spices as above then ground to fine powder. or bought garam masala.

Method:

“Do a Delia and get all ingredients chopped and in bowls before starting”.

First heat the oil, then add the dry spices above until they start popping.
    Add the chopped onions and turn down so they cook slowly until translucent.
    Turn the heat right down and add the chilli and turmeric powders. Heat for 5 mins until getting red/yellow oil showing. Add the salt, grated ginger and garlic for just a minute (or they stick and burn) before adding the meat and chopped tomatoes.
    Put the lid on and turn the hob up a bit, keep checking until you are starting to get a good amount of juice showing - takes about 10-15 mins.
    Then add the ground cumin, garam masala and grate some nutmeg over.

Lid back on, and cook slowly for a couple of hours, siring occasionally until ready - the meat should be soft and not chewy and the sauce should be a thickish gravy.

Goes with plain basmati rice and daal/naan.

Dribbling yet?

"We're all born bald, baby." Telly Savalas
    "Who loves ya, Baby? Kojak 1973
    "Greeks don't threaten. They issue prophecies." Kojak 1973

The post was edited 2 times, last by nicknohair ().

• - stunning, Nick...........stunning - am salivating already, seriously.

And, so kind of fluffy..........can I have mine with plain rice at your bash please, Gazz :lol:

...anyone who rides a bike and loves nature, can never be poor, we will always be happy, no matter what
    Gunther Muller

• I meant to add - "lamb neck fillets cut into chunks". in the second line
    But I can't seem to find how to edit the original post - only edit the title.

"We're all born bald, baby." Telly Savalas
    "Who loves ya, Baby? Kojak 1973
    "Greeks don't threaten. They issue prophecies." Kojak 1973

• - bottom right hand corner...

Click Edit, then click Edit Post

- it'll be different on yours, cos we have other knobs n whistles we can play with :D

...anyone who rides a bike and loves nature, can never be poor, we will always be happy, no matter what
    Gunther Muller

• You cooked this for us at Graham's about 3 years ago and it was very tasty indeed....which is why I asked if you were still cooking it in your welcome thread :)

Ask a question and you are a fool for a moment.......don't ask the question and you are a fool for life.

• I've actually just checked, and there's a veggie coming. Might need to change the plan!

Speaking of which, this summarises well how I feel about such situations (I grew up with a veggie):

I love vegetarians and totally agree with their ethos. Abstaining from meet, to leave more for us that love it makes total sence with lack of resourses and an ever growing population. Good on em I say.

Baring that in mind, you have to do the right thing: stick to the recipie and dig out a few bags of plain crisps (frazzles are probably ok but possibly a bit insulting) and some tap water. It's only fair mate. ;)

Ps. Calling 'that kid' at your school a, 'veggie', is out of order. Shame on you. :(