Teach me about IKBS

And please enter our 2018 Photo Calendar Competition.... July's entries are >>> here <<<
Please note that from 1st August 2017, free accounts will no longer be able to use the Conversation (PM) system. Please see >>> here <<<for details.
  • Your always going to get a bit of banter, bravado, and ''wee wee'' contests amongst the lads where their toys are concerned, it's all good and

healthy, but i agree with Jim re the ''My $6 Chinese knock off is as good as your $160 Spyderco'' brigade, they really are a pain in the freeking arse :rolleyes:

"This is my rifle.There are many like it, but this one is mine"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharpen it like you love it, use it like you hate it.

• Appi Burpday to you too Jim'... I'll avanuverbeer right now in anticipation of your burpday. Hope a nice new knife is on its way to you for Saturday.

There is one on its way to me, but it seems to have been stuck in the post in Jo' Burg for quite a few weeks, so i've no idea when it will arrive...

• I would like to clear up a few points about BALLS!
    I've always been a Phosphor Bronze person when making folders.
    Some years back when the flipper demand started Andre Thorburn did a lot of research and trial and error and improved the normal IKBS system to a point that I now also use his system but only in flippers.
    Normal IKBS has the balls running on a flat surface with minute contact points.
    This is fine on hard steel but it will tend to settle in and form a groove in Ti6Al4V titanium.
    Andre Thorburn developed a system were the raceway was cut into the titanium almost to 50% of the ball diameter increasing the contact area dramatically.
    At this point Andre Thorburn and Andre van Heerden make most if not all their knives with this system.
    They make incredible knives and would not do it if the system caused failures and returns !
    I,ve not carried a folder with balls but I will be making myself a small EDC version soon.(mainly to see if I can mess it up !!!)
    Up to now I've only used balls (Ceramic Balls) in my large flipper and so far not had any returns caused by loosening up and creating play.
    I must also say that I only use silicon nitride balls , developed for the space programme.
    Here I must comment that dentists were among the first profession to use ceramic (silicon nitride) bearings.
    The original high speed dental drill (Turbine) had an unloaded RPM of 350,000 ,(yes 350,000 RPM !) and the stainless steel bearings were very costly and barely made 6 months of use when oiled twice a day.
    The ceramic bearings then came into use with the guarantee going from 6 months to 1 year BUT........maintenance free.
    No oiling at all !
    This is incredible technology that is getting to be easily available.
    At first I was paying 8 £ per ball for 6mm diameter and not much less for smaller diameters.
    Now they are more freely available , still at a premium price but roughly 1$ per ball.

• Normal IKBS has the balls running on a flat surface with minute contact points.
    This is fine on hard steel but it will tend to settle in and form a groove in Ti6Al4V titanium.
    Andre Thorburn developed a system were the raceway was cut into the titanium almost to 50% of the ball diameter increasing the contact area dramatically.
    At this point Andre Thorburn and Andre van Heerden make most if not all their knives with this system.

- so, this presumably increases friction a tad, however, it must make reliability and overall strength better..?

Do you know about dirty use........? (!) By that I mean is there any anecdotal/field use feedback to say how these kinds of bearings fare once they've become full o' crud...? Because, as we know, taking apart a CR Sebenza and cleaning the ph.br bushes and putting back together is a piece o' cake...

...anyone who rides a bike and loves nature, can never be poor, we will always be happy, no matter what
    Gunther Muller

• I forgot to mention that the Silicon Nitride balls are 93 HRC.....so fairly hard and really close to diamond.

Chui that test is why I plan to make myself a small EDC with balls , but I do believe there will not be a problem.

I cannot feel the friction difference with a deep raceway. practically speaking there is none.

Some years back I was told that F1 cars used Ceramic bearings while Rally teams only had one ceramic ball in a race to destroy any material that gets into the race before it can damage the race or the steel balls.
    Not sure how true this is.

My knives are not made to be taken apart.
    The pivot pin is made to size and then locked tight!

• Thanks for that insight. I never heard that explanation for why they cut the races into the titanium. I thought it might be to bring the tolerances even tighter.

• People are always concerned about the bearings becoming dirty. Well my first prototype I use for a year and a half before cleaning it because I took it apart for reblasting the scales.

In my experience using IKBS (in the form of the system Andre T developed) there is little to no issues. If you can clean a slipjoint with some warm water, dish soap you can clean IKBS.

Here is a simple how to:

• My CRKT Ripple has IKBS open bearing pivot & was my pocket knife of choice for general box & twine cutting around the workshop. After a few weeks Invariably, it did eventually get sticky with pocket floss & gunge.

'The method of cleaning IKBS linked to by @marthinus is what I used & then blow out with compressed air. :thumbup: