SF100 steel .

Help EM and UK knife making and unlock loads of premium features by buying a subscription here!
  • Hello everyone - it is not so common for hand held knifes to be made from 13c26 it is normally very thin razor or scalpel products - however customer have done with good results. 13C26 sits in the middle of corrosion reistance and hardness on our 7 grade spread, its very fine microstructure gives fantastic edge quality and sharpness. We will be stocking some 3mmin the web shop very soon. If you need a steel with higher hardness / toughness or better corrosion resistance you can shift to 7c27Mo2 or 19c27 or indeed the new grade 14C28N that is an upgrade from 13C26 - my telephone is 07721 888695 if you would like to discuss materials

• Morning all...

Regarding the Rc. levels, I find that 60 is about optimum for the type of knives that I predominantly make, I have tested it as low as 55 though and being quite honest, unless you are testing it under laboratory conditions, any difference was only apparent when it came to re sharpening...

I get great feedback from users, edge retention easily up there with RWL, but easier to maintain. I suppose RWL is the one that I personally gauge the SF100 alongside, RWL being the steel I was predominantly using when the SF100 came along. previous to the RWL the main steel I used was 12C27, I switched to the RWL because I found it better in use, same reason for switching from the RWL to SF100, it suits me, my customers, and what I make. That said of course I still use half a dozen or so other grades too when/if required...

I hate saying X steel is better than Y, there are far too many uncontrollable variables, especially for a knife used in hand, in the field. We would need to clamp blades in a vise in CATRA and perform identical cuts of identical materials, even then make sure the controllable variables stack up too, HT for the different materials, even grinds and edge types...

The bulk of what I make are small to mid size hunting/outdoor knives, more and more kitchen knives too, this material excels at that, I dare say perfect for the job, the edge it takes, holds and then the serviceability of it afterwards, when maintenance time comes around, that is why I refer to it as as real world. Everything is a trade off isn't it, edge retention, ease of sharpening, rust resistance, for me SF100, properly HT'd and correctly worked for purpose, sits smack bang in the middle of all those compromises...

Then of course there is the romance isn't there, there is pride to be gleaned form using a Sheffield made steel once again. I had a client visit last week, a pretty cool job, working with a German gun maker he is using to create as close as possible a matching rifle/knife outfit. He arrived all Damasteel, after talking steel, provenance and history, he left all SF100, his decision.

The fact that I have some doesn't hurt either does it :D

All that said, if it didn't do what I needed it to do, if I couldn't guarantee it in use, I'd be using something else...

• Then of course there is the romance isn't there, there is pride to be gleaned form using a Sheffield made steel once again. I had a client visit last week, a pretty cool job, working with a German gun maker he is using to create as close as possible a matching rifle/knife outfit. He arrived all Damasteel, after talking steel, provenance and history, he left all SF100, his decision.

I seem to remember Stu mentioning a long time ago, probably on BB, that the SF in the name comes from the old Sam Fox works. Another link to the old Sheffield tradition.

• 13c26 now available in web shop

3 Dimensions available

155 x 360 x 3mm

32 x 360 x 3mm

400 x 360 x 3mm

Sandvik 13C26 is the Sandvik knife steel grade with the highest achievable hardness while still maintaining the fine carbide structure which is characteristic for Sandvik´s knife steels. With exceptional edge performance and good toughness this grade is an excellent choice for demanding cutting applications where the moderate corrosion resistance of Sandvik 13C26 knife steel is not a key issue, or if the blade is coated for corrosion protection. With a recommended hardness range of 55-62 HRC, exceptional edge performace with scary sharpness and good toughness, Sandvik 13C26 knife steel is recommended for surgical blades, razor applications, whittling or as a surface coated EDC (Every Day Carry) knife.

Original Sandvik mill certificate included. Knife steel is sold per individual steel sheet. Product may have cosmetic spots