Spyderco, Spyderco........

Help EM and UK knife making and unlock loads of premium features by buying a subscription here!
  • Okay, maybe I should buy a soldering knife, might be useful to have anyway - any recommendations for a cheap, but decent one? Is there any risk the soldering iron would heat the screw so much it would melt the G10 around it?

BTW I've posted a wanted advert for replacement clip screws here

• AFAIK Spyderco use blue Loctite on a lot of their knives, particularly on pocket clip & pivot fittings, but i have never known them to use the stronger bonding red compound on any of the knives i have seen.

"This is my rifle.There are many like it, but this one is mine"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharpen it like you love it, use it like you hate it.

• Spyderco say ...

Although Loctite’s manufacturer recommends using heat to loosen its bond on screws, their specifications state that a temperature of more than 360 degrees Fahrenheit must be reached for high-strength Loctite to soften. Such temperatures could easily damage the scales and other components of your knife. Instead, we recommend the process described above. If it is not successful, please remember that you can always send your knife to Spyderco with $5.00 for return shipping and we will loosen the screws for you. To make life even easier, we recently decided to change our policy. All US-made Spyderco knives are now being assembled with medium-strength Loctite to make end-user screw removal easier.

• The process

• Thanks, so do you need to turn the Torx driver as you whack it with the hammer, or whack it, then turn it? I'm assuming relatively gentle taps with the hammer rather than whacking it with all your strength? Think I still need another set of clip screws, as pretty sure I've partially damaged the socket in at least one of them...

• I think it's a real shame they left the lanyard hole on the Para 3 and compromised the tip up clip position quite so much. It's a rather curious design choice given its smaller form and arguably more 'EDC friendly' nature compared to its bigger brother.

• Okay, maybe I should buy a soldering knife, might be useful to have anyway - any recommendations for a cheap, but decent one? Is there any risk the soldering iron would heat the screw so much it would melt the G10 around it?

BTW I've posted a wanted advert for replacement clip screws here

On the soldering iron front, I'd recommend getting an adjustable heat one, you never know when that feature may come in handy in the future.

Last one I bought were around £25 I think, should last a lifetime for the occasional user.

• I think it's a real shame they left the lanyard hole on the Para 3 and compromised the tip up clip position quite so much. It's a rather curious design choice given its smaller form and arguably more 'EDC friendly' nature compared to its bigger brother.

The clip works much better in the tip-down position (once I finally figured out how to remove the clip screws), I don't mind not having it tip down, though I may still get one of Pop's deep carry clips (though the stock spoon clip does look quite classy

eTFym04

eTFym04.jpg

eTFym04

• Jumpin'Spyder - have just come back from holiday in Greece and used mine to cut fruit.........instant beautiful patina..!

What excellent edge retention qualities K390 has, it loses very slightly with stain resistance.

I'll post some pics soon...

IMG_8187.jpg

IMG_8188.jpg

...anyone who rides a bike and loves nature, can never be poor, we will always be happy, no matter what
    Gunther Muller