Cigar cutting with a blade.

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    Unobtainium subscriptions will be unavailable after 30th April.... get one now while they still exist! Click   here!  .

    • Monsieur wrote:

      well ... how much do you spend on a Churchill from Romeo y Julietta ? All for it to go in smoke 35 minutes later!

      Forget about the price, quality remains ;)
      He he, Agreed but a decent punch is only a few quid and even some poncy dupont one can be had for the same £60. But then the poncy dupont one IS poncy and definately ISN'T as useful as the sak, allright all right I get it fair enough. :D
    • fluffy wrote:

      Monsieur wrote:

      well ... how much do you spend on a Churchill from Romeo y Julietta ? All for it to go in smoke 35 minutes later!


      Forget about the price, quality remains ;)
      and anyway, you can always play Bond villain with it :)
      Nagh, you need a classic thumb cutter/guillotine type cigar cutter for that, not a punch. And a crocodile. ;)
    • Cigar cutting with a blade.

      I've tried a sak cigar punch and wasn't impressed by it, it works but it's very shallow.

      I'd much rather have the xikar cigar knife than the sak



      xikar.com/products/cutters/cigar-cut-knife/#

      Although I carry dedicated tools for dedicated jobs. For the best cut you really need a double edge guillotine cutter as a single blade no matter how sharp will crush the cigar to some extent and risk cracking the cap.

      xikar.com/products/cutters/
    • Cigar cutting with a blade.

      Average Joe wrote:

      So, am I rright in thinking, that if you are in the same predicament I was, (no specialist tools) you are best off using a blade to do a 'V' cut, or abstaining? :)


      V cut or use the tip of the knife to stab round the shoulders of the cap, once the cap is removed you can clean out the underside of any loose leaf and enjoy. The only time a guillotine type cut has worked has been on a torpedo type cap as it is structurally more substantial.
    • jibjob79 wrote:

      Average Joe wrote:

      So, am I rright in thinking, that if you are in the same predicament I was, (no specialist tools) you are best off using a blade to do a 'V' cut, or abstaining? :)
      V cut or use the tip of the knife to stab round the shoulders of the cap, once the cap is removed you can clean out the underside of any loose leaf and enjoy. The only time a guillotine type cut has worked has been on a torpedo type cap as it is structurally more substantial.
      Thank you Jib, I think that is about the only viable options.

      Just out of interest, what cool smokes would you recomend?
    • my bro used to bring me back boxes of Romeo and julietta cigars when you used to travel and from the states.

      I used to use my opinel to cut the ends of without any issue. Really thin carbon steel blade, super sharp and cut close to the cap so you used the strength of the cap whilst cutting.

      Alternatively V cut the cap (Not deep or you'll never get a drag) cut a V in the cap at about 45 degrees, this is a little harder with a knife as you are relying on the strength of the side leaves to take the pressure. Pull the blade through as if cutting a tomato to reduce the pressure.

      Alternatively a Bambo BBQ skewer is really good to just push through right in the centre of the cap and a little way down if you prefer an easier smoke.

      Hope this covers the 3 most common cutting methods. The thinner and sharper the blade the easier you'll find it.

    • Ovid wrote:

      my bro used to bring me back boxes of Romeo and julietta cigars when you used to travel and from the states.

      I used to use my opinel to cut the ends of without any issue. Really thin carbon steel blade, super sharp and cut close to the cap so you used the strength of the cap whilst cutting.

      Alternatively V cut the cap (Not deep or you'll never get a drag) cut a V in the cap at about 45 degrees, this is a little harder with a knife as you are relying on the strength of the side leaves to take the pressure. Pull the blade through as if cutting a tomato to reduce the pressure.

      Alternatively a Bambo BBQ skewer is really good to just push through right in the centre of the cap and a little way down if you prefer an easier smoke.

      Hope this covers the 3 most common cutting methods. The thinner and sharper the blade the easier you'll find it.


      Thank you. :)
    • Average Joe wrote:

      jibjob79 wrote:

      Average Joe wrote:

      So, am I rright in thinking, that if you are in the same predicament I was, (no specialist tools) you are best off using a blade to do a 'V' cut, or abstaining? :)
      V cut or use the tip of the knife to stab round the shoulders of the cap, once the cap is removed you can clean out the underside of any loose leaf and enjoy. The only time a guillotine type cut has worked has been on a torpedo type cap as it is structurally more substantial.
      Thank you Jib, I think that is about the only viable options.
      Just out of interest, what cool smokes would you recomend?
      If your look for favourite smokes. Romeo and Julietta all the way; there quite tightly packed so can take a bit of smoking but they are by far my favourite. If your looking for a cheap day smoker go to sainsburys as they hAve just started stock "Mehari's, sweet orient" or if you can find the Mehari's Java they are tidy to, Their only little bit very good.
    • Cigar cutting with a blade.

      Recommending cigars is difficult as everyone's palette is different and changes over time.

      IMHO there are 4 main factors to pick

      Size both width (ring gauge) length (both determine time of smoke) and shape.

      Strength from mild through medium to full strength.

      Flavour be it woody, nutty, chocolately, floral, leathery, creamy etc

      And None Cuban (NC) or Cuban Cigar (CC). NC don't change flavour as you smoke them and tend to be quite bland while CC change flavour as you smoke and tend to be more complex. NC are generally made for the US palette as they can't legally get CC. It's a bit like a proper British real ale and an American beer like Budweiser. Ones rich and characterful and the other is not but lots of people like each or both. Be aware you can get NC and CC different brands both called the same thing. A NC Romeo y Julieta cigar is totally different from a CC Romeo y Julieta.

      My personal preference is for CC as I've been smoking cigars for a while. I like the medium strength para ragas brand, full flavour being nutty, woody is a medium size robusto. For a bigger smoke I love Cohiba Siglo VI which is medium strength and creamy. For a smaller smoke I prefer a Petite Corona Romeo y Julieta which is mild and floral.

      For NC I like Nub cigars which are fat short cigars or the Rocky Patel brand is nice for a consistent smoke.

      Also brands of cigars change their recipe of leaf in different cigars so a two different sized cigars from the same brand won't taste the same.

      PS. Don't buy at UK prices or you will be buying a £16 cigar which you could have paid £4 for ;)
    • Thank you both for input, it's always handy to get ideas rather than blindly spending money. As I'm sure you know, one can have some very costly disapointments.

      Interesting to hear the sig six mentioned, it's been on my radar for a while. Of those I have smoked thus far, cohiba have been prdomanantly to my pallet. I like a sub hour experience, rarely venturing to the big boys. Sig ones represent a good choice for me, behike 52's would be prefered but I don't always have that sort of cash to burn. I also appreciate the odd Esplendidos when funds and time permit.

      The humidor is currently almost deplete, (one Esplendidos, two bhks an a pair of sig ones) and I am currenly looking to stock up.

      I was recently very unimpressed with my first atempt at a sig two! First puff was an instant dislike I gave it the benifit of a few minutes but that was it. Not for me. As per king Ted, Montys edmundo and philies. All memorable but not for the right reasons. :(

      Jib, could you enlarge on any money saving tips? :)
    • Yossarian wrote:

      @jibjob79 no need to pick on american beers mate, budweiser is :poo: but a handful of british lagers fit that bill too. America produces some fantastic beers, you just cant get them here :D
      I think it was just meant as a metaphore. He also said that cigars taste like chocolate and cream. ;)

      More importantly, he's hinting at quatering my cigar bill, so give him a break. :D