Help EM and UK knife making and unlock loads of premium features by buying a subscription here!
  • hi Guys

just want to say thanks to Mike and everyone else who made the show possible, also many thanks to the other exhibitors who madea pair of freshmen very welcome. We made a decent number of sales and will have another clear out of the drawers, boxes and cupboards for next year.

Regards

Phil and Rosie

• As I said no slight intended, I know it can't be easy organising an event of this magnitude and of course the back seat organisers don't help, though they mean well :)

But I'm not sure your example is the best to base a strategy around, I ran a few meet ups myself , a few years ago now through BB, but in my experience those furthest away were the most likely to drop out, so what does this prove, nothing really, other than we both experienced the same issues but the other way around, I guess my point is I 'm just not sure our tiny data set really reflects the whole.

From a purely business "bums on seats" standpoint, the "die-hards" (and i mean no offence by that, as they are of course, like you say, the guys/gals who actually make it all happen), are surely always going to be a fairly finite number of people, so to get bigger, which I'm only assuming is a goal, the wants of the more casual enthusiast needs to be catered for and I can't believe distance from your doorstep is not going to be a considerable factor.

But again, please don't think I believe I know better or could do a better job, I'm not the arguing on the internet type, I just felt i should maybe justify the logic behind my remarks, its is just my opinion and like a certain body part, everyone's got one :)

That being said, in the unlikely event there was ever anything I could do to be helpful, I would happily do so.

• I can't believe distance from your doorstep is not going to be a considerable factor.

Within reason, I agree.

For me (emphasis on me), if the show was on any day other than Sunday it's a 4hr trip to get there, so entirely feasible. I spent that long going all the way to Paris just to go to the FiCX and SICAC shows last year. But as KnivesUK is on a Sunday it's not actually possible to get there. There is no public transport.

Are there many potential attendees in the same situation as me? No idea, so I've no idea if moving the show to somewhere that isn't the back end of nowhere would make a difference.

• Within reason, I agree.

For me (emphasis on me), if the show was on any day other than Sunday it's a 4hr trip to get there, so entirely feasible. I spent that long going all the way to Paris just to go to the FiCX and SICAC shows last year. But as KnivesUK is on a Sunday it's not actually possible to get there. There is no public transport.

Are there many potential attendees in the same situation as me? No idea, so I've no idea if moving the show to somewhere that isn't the back end of nowhere would make a difference.

- you could've come with me.............personally chaufferred, quality hi-fi music the whole way - wouldn't even've had to make conversation :P

:D

...anyone who rides a bike and loves nature, can never be poor, we will always be happy, no matter what
    Gunther Muller

• How about Leeds Armouries for a venue ? Would be better placed for our Scottish friends too. You might even get Sal to visit again ;)

And Mike ... you've had a lot on your plate and STILL managed to put on a hugely successful show this year, take the praise mate :) Circumstances have meant I couldn't make any shows etc.. this year, but I hope to make the next if you are good enough to go through it all again :D

• - you could've come with me.............personally chaufferred, quality hi-fi music the whole way - wouldn't even've had to make conversation

Cheers Paul - I was offered lifts (they know who they are, and thanks again to them!) but I'd wager those not on a forum may not be so fortunate as to have kind folk willing to give lifts etc. Then again, I've no idea on the pull this show has on those not on the various knifey fora, so it could be another impactless point!

• This was my very first knife show, having travelled 256 miles from Middlesbrough the previous day, I just want to say It was well worth it!

I was lucky enough to met some great people and I have seen another side to my "hobby" that I never knew existed!

It was fantastic to meet Paul and Jan Mason "in the flesh" and to shake the hand of the man who made my Anniversary knife, the only knife my wife has ever approved of! So glad that I got the opportunity to show Paul the Robeson knife that his friend Hank Hanson passed onto me, they don't make them like that anymore!

I do hope that the knife show does carry on, but any further south will really make me think twice about attending, and London would be too intense.

Lastly a big thanks to Robert Cutting for the trade on the Howser split back, awesome!

• Apologies for being rather on the late side, but I just wanted to add my voice to the others. @mikesknives I'm really sorry to hear of the difficulties you've had to contend with, but I'm extremely grateful for what in my eyes was a great success. I really don't think it's possible to overstate the importance of this event to the knife community in this country. In the nicest possible way, I'm very glad that you gave yourself that slap! ;-)

Yes of course it would have made it even better if there was space for demonstrations again, and room to accommodate everyone who wanted a table, but lets not lose sight of the fact that it was an awesome day and (at least for me) an absolute mine of information. It was a fantastic (and very rare) opportunity to chat to other enthusiasts in person, to meet / catch up with some makers, and for once to actually handle knives rather than having to take a gamble and buy them without being able to hold them first.

I look forward to hearing more about the new venue in due course, but rest assured you could make it half the size and hold it in a the middle of a field in John O'Groats, and I'll be there feeling damn grateful for the opportunity! :-)

Tom