Does the spring have to be flush?

Enter the EM 2017 Calendar Photography Competition for a chance to have your photo published in the calendar...

"Chew the Fat" is now an "Opt-In" area! Join the 'Chew the Fat' User Group..... See here for details.

• New

pieinthesky wrote:

Navaja - I don't know if I would do it exactly like that but you definitely have some good ideas there.

Keeping the spring contact position close to the pivot may be sufficient on its own.

I think I see a flaw, because it's probably not really a true slipjoint if it relies on a detent.

Using a flat surfaced spring pretty much ties you up to using similar pressure open & closed.

As soon as you start playing with shaping the spring to get an advantage when open it becomes a detent, not sure if using a detent is really traditional slipjoint stuff....?

Radiusing the area between closed & half stop on a normal square tang has the effect of moving the spring closer to the pivot to aid opening. Makes the half stop a little uneven though, all compromises.