Does the spring have to be flush?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Enter the EM 2017 Calendar Photography Competition for a chance to have your photo published in the calendar...

"Chew the Fat" is now an "Opt-In" area! Join the 'Chew the Fat' User Group..... See here for details.

• New

pieinthesky wrote:

Navaja - I don't know if I would do it exactly like that but you definitely have some good ideas there.

Keeping the spring contact position close to the pivot may be sufficient on its own.

I think I see a flaw, because it's probably not really a true slipjoint if it relies on a detent.

Using a flat surfaced spring pretty much ties you up to using similar pressure open & closed.

As soon as you start playing with shaping the spring to get an advantage when open it becomes a detent, not sure if using a detent is really traditional slipjoint stuff....?

Radiusing the area between closed & half stop on a normal square tang has the effect of moving the spring closer to the pivot to aid opening. Makes the half stop a little uneven though, all compromises.