Pinned Subscription Information & FAQ

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Enter the EM 2017 Calendar Photography Competition for a chance to have your photo published in the calendar...

"Chew the Fat" is now an "Opt-In" area! Join the 'Chew the Fat' User Group..... See here for details.

• Subscription Information & FAQ

Base Subscriptions -- read this first! (After you've read it, you can subscribe >>>here<<<!)

Base Subscription Details

Can I use the forums for free?

Yes. Anybody is very welcome to create an account on Edge Matters and use it free of charge for as long as they like. After a while (200 'points'!) you will automatically be promoted from Bronze to Tin however both these levels offer fairly limited features, primarily these limitations are being unable to use the Marketplace (except Bargain Basement) and being restricted in quantity and size of images that can be posted, although there are other limitations as well, such as no access to any of the Subscribing Members' areas, or vendor discount codes.

What paid subscription levels are there?

We offer three levels of paid Base Subscription for people who wish to support us, and these are 440C, Elmax, and S35VN. They offer increasing levels of benefits & features, all of which are of course better than Bronze and Tin, mainly as they allow use of the Marketplace, as well as increased photo & attachment quantities and sizes, plus access to private areas including vendor discount codes.

What happens to the money from my subscription?

The Edge Matters founders decided from the very beginning that any profit that may be made after the technical and admin costs of the forum have been met by the subscriptions would be channelled back into the UK knife scene. We will not be spending your subscriptions on ourselves! This place exists purely to further the cause of knife making in the UK.

One of the ways we intend to do this is by creation of a UK Knife Makers' Guild, and as a stepping stone to this we will be offering various makers who have met a particular standard in their work, their own subforum to promote and sell their knives. Makers who have their own subforums are identified by the "Maker*" badge. For more details see the section below entitled Maker Subscription Upgrade.

What about Makers and Sellers?

We offer Maker and Seller "Upgrades", so each Maker and Seller can buy the level of benefits & features they want via their Base Subscription first, then they buy a Maker or Seller Upgrade to get their additional features. This approach gives the most flexibility. Not all Makers and Sellers want the maximum photo allowance, etc.

Details of the Maker and Seller and Sponsored Reviewer Upgrades are below.

How do I buy a Paid Subscription?

Work out which one you want from the Subscription Benefits & Features Comparison Table below, and then click here to buy it.

Can I get a refund if I leave?

No, if you decide to leave the forum or are banned due to not adhering the rules or some other reason, you will not get a refund.

Can I upgrade my Base Subscription?

Yes, buy the new level of subscription you want, then send us a message, and we will pro-rata refund your old one.

Can I downgrade my Base Subscription?

No, it must run to expiry and you can then buy the lower level.

Subscription Benefits & Features Comparison Table

MEMBERSHIP LEVELGuestMember440CElmaxS35VNUnobtainium
    CostFreeFree£5/year£10/year£20/year£50/THREE YEARS
    PerksVery fewNot manyBasicMoreMostSame as S35VN
    Badge"Guest""Bronze" then "Tin""440C""Elmax""S35VN""Unobtainium"
    Individual "For Sale" itemsSee but not postSee but not post5 per month10 per month15 per month15 per month
    "Wanted" areasSee but not postSee but not post5 per month10 per monthUnlimitedUnlimited
    Message sizeN/A5 kB10 kB25 kB50 kB50 kB
    Attachments per messageN/A5 x 0.5 MB3 x 1 MB6 x 2 MB40 MB total*40 MB total*
    "About Me" sizeN/A0.5 kB1 kB2.5 kB10 kB10 kB
    Avatar sizeN/A100 kB200 kB250 kB300 kB300 kB
    PM ConversationsN/A1,0005,00010,00015,00015,000
    Change username?N/ANoNoEvery 12 monthsEvery 6 monthsEvery 6 months
    Start pollsNoNoYesYes & in repliesYes & in repliesYes & in replies
    Post Throttle (seconds)N/A30151055
    Sales Bump Throttle (days)N/An/a10755
    Limited Availability?NoNoNoNoNoYes (100)
    Access to Private Forums?NoNoYesYesYesYes
    Discount Codes?NoNoYesYesYesYes
    Gallery imagesView only5 albums
    50 MB total
    50 images
    1 MB each
    1,000 x 1,000 pixels
    10 albums
    100 MB total
    100 images
    3 MB each
    3,000 x 3,000 pixels
    25 albums
    250 MB total
    1,000 images
    4 MB each
    4,000 x 4,000 pixels
    100 albums
    1 GB total
    10,000 images
    10 MB each
    6,000 x 6,000 pixels
    100 albums
    1 GB total
    10,000 images
    10 MB each
    6,000 x 6,000 pixels

Subscription Upgrades

Maker Subscription Upgrade

Maker Subscription Upgrade

What benefits do I get as a Maker?

Your photo/attachment sizes & quantities and other benefits & posting features remain the same as your Base Subscription, but in addition you can post an unlimited number of knives you have made yourself in the "Knives for Sale by Makers" forum.

How do I become a Maker?

First buy your Base Subscription, then buy a Maker Upgrade. You do both of these from the Paid Subscriptions page. If you accidentally buy a Maker Upgrade before your Base Subscription, you can buy the Base Subscription afterwards, but it makes sense to do it the right way round. If you get stuck, just let us know and we can sort it out.

What if I want to become a Maker part way through a Base Subscription?

In this case, buy a Base Subscription again, and the Maker Subscription, and we will pro-rata refund the old subscription.

Can I get my own subforum?

We only offer the EM Maker Upgrade, which gives the Maker a dedicated subforum bearing their name, to Makers whose work meets a particular quality level. If you believe you may meet the criteria for entry, get in touch.

How do you evaluate the quality of the EM Makers' work?

At the time of writing the set of tests is still under discussion, but we currently make the decision based on the skill and experience of a significant number of expert knife makers. For a good indication of the level of craftsmanship we require, take a look through the current EM Makers' forums.

Seller Subscription Upgrade

Seller Subscription Upgrade

What benefits do I get as a Seller?

Your photo/attachment size and quantities and other benefits and posting features remain the same as your Base Subscription, but in addition you can post an unlimited number of items (knives or not) in the Marketplace "For Sale by Sellers" forums.

How do I become a Seller?

First buy your Base Subscription, then buy a Seller Upgrade. You do both of these from the Paid Subscriptions page. If you accidentally buy a Seller Upgrade before your Base Subscription, you can buy the Base Subscription afterwards, but it makes sense to do it the right way round. If you get stuck, just let us know and we can sort it out.

What if I want to become a Seller part way through a Base Subscription?

In this case, buy a Base Subscription again, and the Seller Subscription, and we will pro-rata refund the old subscription.

Reviewer Subscription Upgrade

Reviewer Subscription Upgrade

What benefits do I get as a Reviewer?

Your photo/attachment size and quantities and other benefits and posting features remain the same as your Base Subscription, but in addition you can post an unlimited number of reviews in the Sponsored Reviews forum.

Why do I need to pay in order to post reviews?

You only need to have this Upgrade if you want to post Sponsored Reviews. These are reviews written by someone who has a vested interest in the product, usually in the form of being supplied with the item free of charge for the purposes of the review, and often allowed to keep it indefinitely after the review is completed. We don't mind these sorts of reviews, but we don't believe they belong in the same space as reviews done where there is no vested interest in the product or supplier.

In your Sponsored Reviews you may post banners, and links to social media and/or other sites you may have posted reviews on. An individual, non-sponsored review may not contain these elements.

How do I become a Sponsored Reviewer?

First buy your Base Subscription, then buy a Reviewer Upgrade. You do both of these from the Paid Subscriptions page. If you accidentally buy a Reviewer Upgrade before your Base Subscription, you can buy the Base Subscription afterwards, but it makes sense to do it the right way round. If you get stuck, just let us know and we can sort it out.

What if I want to become a Reviewer part way through a Base Subscription?

In this case, buy a Base Subscription again, and the Seller Subscription, and we will pro-rata refund the old subscription.

Subscription Upgrades Comparison Table

UpgradeMakerEM MakerSellerReviewer
    Annual cost£15£30, and subject
    to a minimum
    standard
    £20 until
    1st Jan 2016
    then £40
    £10
    AccessMaker areasOwn Maker forumSeller areasSponsored Reviewer areas
    Badge"Maker""Maker*""Seller"As base subscription

Wood stabilising & resin: packratwoods.uk