Recommend me a Shing!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Enter the EM 2017 Calendar Photography Competition for a chance to have your photo published in the calendar...

"Chew the Fat" is now an "Opt-In" area! Join the 'Chew the Fat' User Group..... See here for details.

• Recommend me a Shing!

I've for a while been thinking that I could really do with a Shing folder in my life, but have delayed doing anything about it due to indecision about what sort of Shing I want and what options to go for...

@Platinum made a suggestion that I start a "recommend me a Shing" thread, so here it is...

At this point I'm not even sure if I want just one blade or two (although I know I don't want more than two), also I'm not actually sure what all the options are and their pros/cons? i.e.

• Blade steel - what are the available options? Would prefer a stainless or near stainless (D2?) steel to a carbon steel
      • Blade shape / grind - what are the available options?
      • Scagel slot vs nail nick (BTW I'm right-handed)
      • Scale material
      • Liners
      • Bolsters (or not)
      • Take-down construction screw/

I'm looking for something not too large or thick, as want something I can carry in my jeans pockets at work (no suit, thankfully) without it being too noticeable or uncomfortable, but also want it to be comfortable to hold

Where do I start?
    • Paul W wrote:

If you don't want a tank that will pull your pants down, looking at your list, a Recurve in RWL34 might be an option, scale choice is too personal a thing to try and make recommendations for :)
      I'm not even sure what the available options are for scales from Shing... or the liner options

I'm not familiar with RWL34 steel, what's it like?

BTW it's perhaps obvious, but it's a slipjoint I'm after
    • Oxford_Guy wrote:

I'm not even sure what the available options are for scales from Shing... or the liner options
      I'm not familiar with RWL34 steel, what's it like?

BTW it's perhaps obvious, but it's a slipjoint I'm after
      Shing will make a knife to your exact specs, and AFAIK some of his knives are made without liners.
      If you are wanting super light weight, carbon fibre scales and titanium can be used in the build to lighten things up considerably.
      RWL34 is an extremely high end powdered steel that has a similar edge performance to D2, but is a true stainless steel.
    • Steel )

RWL 34 is a great all rounder ,holds a nice edge ,very stainless and easy to sharpen...a good EDC steel

Cts XHP i prefer over RWL ...but is harder/longer to sharpen ,flip side the edge outlasts RWL ..great steel

Cts B75p will be the most difficult to sharpen but I love it great edge holding and as stainless as you need!...its the cartenpter powder variant of BG ,its lovely stuff

Blade profile )

Clip point ,wharncliff ,Spey and spear are available on most models ...as is either full flat or sabre

Liners )

Both Ti and Steel are available on all models .....Iv got two blackbirds one Ti ,one steel ..The Ti version literally weighs half the steel version.....I do prefer steel liners ,I like the weight and the action is always a little better because there's less gauling with steel on steel ...but I can't argue the lightness of the Ti

)Bolsters

Are up to you ,if you like the look get bolsters if don't,don't ...If you want to save a little weight don't either :D

)pin or take down

I prefer pin construction on the more traditional patterns (just cause) from shing but take down work well to ....FYI most of the models are not technically Take down construction ,they just have removable scales (not pivots)

Scagel hole works best with the blackbird /raven series (in all sizes) ...I prefer nail nick/ longpull on everything else

Models

Favourite would be the Recurve ...followed by the Blackbird but they switch positions almost daily , there both fab !!

The recurve is properly awesome and more refined /slightly more compact ....the blackbird/raven are built like a tank And confidant .... Both are perfect EDC's ....Ones just bulkier

There is another candidate in the Sodbuster ,this with TI liners would probably suit the bill the best for you ...being full size but very slim ,easy to carry and comfortable to use ......its just might be called a little boring by some ,is all ....its another great EDC

There are smaller shings like the puffin out there but iv never owned one :thumbup:

There all freaking epic !!...you can't go far wrong with any one of shings slip joints :love:
      "Excuse me, while I kiss the sky."
    • Shing does make a good looking knife.

I'd say just get in touch with the man himself and speak through your options with him. No one knows better what he can do.
      "DIBS"

"You must have big rats if you need Hattori Hanzo's steel"

"The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with watches you shave his face in the mirror every morning"

Instagram.com/hattorihanzo7
    • Thanks guys, all useful stuff. I noticed that one of the knives for sale is advertised as having "Medium/light pull" and one "Medium pull" - how strong are springs on these? I generally prefer a reasonable strong back spring, as don't like to feel the knife is going to close on itself easily, though not the point where it really becomes a pig to open. Is Shing "Medium pull" a nail breaker, or still relatively easy to open?
    • Oxford_Guy wrote:

Thanks guys, all useful stuff. I noticed that one of the knives for sale is advertised as having "Medium/light pull" and one "Medium pull" - how strong are springs on these? I generally prefer a reasonable strong back spring, as don't like to feel the knife is going to close on itself easily, though not the point where it really becomes a pig to open. Is Shing "Medium pull" a nail breaker, or still relatively easy to open?
      If you prefer a strong backspring X( to a girly one :* go for a Scagel slot :D
    • .....there's always this model too

Usually being a 1-blade user, I have really enjoyed this 2-blade in D2 with Ti handles.

Fit and finish are very good indeed. There's a slight roll or sogginess on the half-stop, but still most acceptable. Pull is about medium, just perfect imho.

The two blades are very well ground and quite snug with each other. Large blade ground from 3mm down to 1.45mm and the smaller blade from 1.5mm down to 1.05mm...
      (thinner measurement taken from halfway on the length)

Yep, really happy with this, and for me, I think Shing has turned a corner - thank you Shing, great folder!

And, after a quick turn of the estate, what better than to relax with some refreshment, eh ;) :D

...anyone who rides a bike and loves nature, can never be poor, we will always be happy, no matter what

Gunther Muller
    • Chui wrote:

.....there's always this model too

Usually being a 1-blade user, I have really enjoyed this 2-blade in D2 with Ti handles.

Fit and finish are very good indeed. There's a slight roll or sogginess on the half-stop, but still most acceptable. Pull is about medium, just perfect imho.

The two blades are very well ground and quite snug with each other. Large blade ground from 3mm down to 1.45mm and the smaller blade from 1.5mm down to 1.05mm...
      (thinner measurement taken from halfway on the length)

Yep, really happy with this, and for me, I think Shing has turned a corner - thank you Shing, great folder!

And, after a quick turn of the estate, what better than to relax with some refreshment, eh ;) :D

Nice pics and review, the multiblades are a bit of a challenge, the tricky bit is to grind the blades so they don't touch but not too thin because they will bend and touch when you try to open one.

Could do with a drop of whisky myself!