Cutting metal

Enter the EM 2017 Calendar Photography Competition for a chance to have your photo published in the calendar...

"Chew the Fat" is now an "Opt-In" area! Join the 'Chew the Fat' User Group..... See here for details.

• monkeyboy_marcus wrote:

Looks like I'll be breaking the angle grinder out then! Take it people are cutting out rough shapes and then profiling with a belt sander? Might also give the Bosch GST25 M a go, since it is relatively cheap and could be re-sold on eBay. Once I get some frames that I'm happy with I'll look into finding a water jet company I guess.
      I have a GST25M. Good saw. Works well on steel, but does not seem to be vastly better than my old Bosch GST100BCE that it replaced. Also works ok on wood and does not seem vastly less good than the GST100BCE on it. I think the blade choice has a lot more bearing on performance than the machine does.

I picked up some carbide-toothed (not grit) T118AHM blades cheap off ebay and they make a huge difference on stainless steel. I've not played with Ti though.
    • @Shing that is exactly the same as the Warco one that didn't work and had to be returned. Not similar but exactly the same in every detail bar colour and branding. I guess they come of a factory line in China and get shipped all over the world. It was my first choice for compact (relatively) size/vertical cutting but I never got to test it out and the smaller version I swapped it for couldn't easily be converted to vertical and seemed under-powered. @earthman - guess this must be the one you're referring too? I used a dremel to grind out a notch at the back to allow it to flip almost vertical but the belt guard prevented it from going full 90 degrees and the blade kept pinging off. So, I had enough and it's gone now for a small financial loss, courtesy of eBay.
    • monkeyboy_marcus wrote:

@Shing that is exactly the same as the Warco one that didn't work and had to be returned. Not similar but exactly the same in every detail bar colour and branding. I guess they come of a factory line in China and get shipped all over the world. It was my first choice for compact (relatively) size/vertical cutting but I never got to test it out and the smaller version I swapped it for couldn't easily be converted to vertical and seemed under-powered. @earthman - guess this must be the one you're referring too? I used a dremel to grind out a notch at the back to allow it to flip almost vertical but the belt guard prevented it from going full 90 degrees and the blade kept pinging off. So, I had enough and it's gone now for a small financial loss, courtesy of eBay.
      I bought mine from Sealey, if I remember correctly, the instructions state that the cutting arm shouldn't even be left in the opened up position due to the oil that's at the motors end, possible leakage I guess??

It certainly wasn't designed for vertical use and I wouldn't recommend buying their saw blades, well not for cutting metal, the teeth just disappeared after a short while on mine.
    • Been discussing prices etc with a waterjet company and it actually works out pretty competitive to get a bulk order (blades and frames) done, although this means that I have to define my prototype beforehand and then tweak if needs be, rather than keep it as a work in progress. Probably not a bad thing though for me, as it'll focus the mind. However, I'm unsure about when is best to get the lockbar cut out. Would you get this done whilst the frame is being cut and then mill out the relief, or mill out the relief and then cut out the lockbar? The first seems easiest, getting it done by the waterjet co...