never owned a sak

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Enter the EM 2017 Calendar Photography Competition for a chance to have your photo published in the calendar...

"Chew the Fat" is now an "Opt-In" area! Join the 'Chew the Fat' User Group..... See here for details.

• myconstantsmile wrote:

never owned a sak. Only leathermans. Pst juice squirt wave supertool supertool 300. Love em. Squirt is on me everyday. Probably like that or the pst tools the best... like the size of the juice. But miss the file.... got any suggestions for saks...
      I sorta feel like a xmas present to myself... maybe in camo if they do it
      They certainly do: victorinox.com/global/en/Produ…nives/Climber/p/1.3703.94

I pretty much like all these 'multi tools' and can't imagine not owning a SAK or two, there is just something about them. :)
      The Leathermans best feature is the pliers, the only Vic product that can match those is their Swisstool, that is of course on the large and heavy side though.
    • I'd also recommend either the Pioneer X or the Farmer if you want slim, the Huntsman for the best usefulness/size ratio (I own around 6 Huntsman models, can't pass them up when they're on offer)

The best ever for me personally is the Master Craftsman aka the Astronaut model. But its disco'd so it never leaves the safe.
      A good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life - Corb Lund
    • Coopster wrote:

I'd also recommend either the Pioneer X or the Farmer if you want slim, the Huntsman for the best usefulness/size ratio (I own around 6 Huntsman models, can't pass them up when they're on offer)

The best ever for me personally is the Master Craftsman aka the Astronaut model. But its disco'd so it never leaves the safe.
      BTW it's still possible to buy the modern version of the Master Craftsman (gains the hook and wood chisel and has a different fine driver) from Japan, as it's still sold (new) in the Japanese market. Even has the nice Space Shuttle scales, actually just ordered one myself from Amazon Japan last week... I'll post a pic when it turns up
    • Coopster wrote:

I had no idea, what did that cost you?
      If you included shipping and import charges (which you pre-pay with Amazon), was about £53, I think

The price on Amazon seems to change all the time, though, (was about 5,700 Yen, base, when I ordered mine) and it seems the only seller that will ship to the UK is Amazon themselves (but they're one of the cheapest anway): amazon.co.jp/dp/B000AR7A3S/ref=pe_492632_169829912_TE_dp_1

It's only been available in Japan since 2015 and may be a limited offering, but I'm not sure about that. There's some more information here: sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Master+Craftsman

Model number is: 1.4763.SS

BTW to the OP - the Master Craftsman is quite a thick SAK (5 layers), so may not be ideal for an EDC knife, unless worn on a belt pouch or maybe a Tec P7 dangler clip in a jeans pocket

• Thanks for the info @Oxford_Guy much appreciated.

Makes me realise how lucky I was, I was very fortunate to spot one on the forums second hand boxed and unused for £35 all in. :thumbsup:

At that price might consider getting one as a user. I've never ordered from Japan before though and I'm a little wary of the unknown so I'll wait until you receive yours and see how it all went before ordering.

I echo your thoughts around the size, it's too big for pocket carry, even the Huntsman suffers with that. Still very useful if you are happy to rock a batman style utility belt or carry a bag of some sort (I carry a back pack in the summer and wear a coat with many pockets in the winter). For trouser pocket or 'EDC Zero' carry you can't beat the profile of the Pioneer X/Farmer.

I personally prefer the Farmer as I spend a lot of my free time walking in woodland where the saw frequently comes out to play but for urban EDC the Pioneer models are where it's at.
      A good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life - Corb Lund
    • Love a good SAK. DO spend the bit extra on your first one and get an alox model. I went for the farmer because theres a bushcraft guy on Youtube that can build his whole campsite with one and even splits and battons wood for fire etc. . . . . not likely to happen to me haha but hey gotta have dreams. Anyway carry it in my daily rotation now and cant say it dissapoints in any way. Also have a small classic on the keychain with the usefuls like toothpick, tweezer, sissors, nail file, and blade!
      "Do or Do not, There is No Try" - Yoda
    • Coopster wrote:

Thanks for the info @Oxford_Guy much appreciated.

Makes me realise how lucky I was, I was very fortunate to spot one on the forums second hand boxed and unused for £35 all in. :thumbsup:

At that price might consider getting one as a user. I've never ordered from Japan before though and I'm a little wary of the unknown so I'll wait until you receive yours and see how it all went before ordering.

I echo your thoughts around the size, it's too big for pocket carry, even the Huntsman suffers with that. Still very useful if you are happy to rock a batman style utility belt or carry a bag of some sort (I carry a back pack in the summer and wear a coat with many pockets in the winter). For trouser pocket or 'EDC Zero' carry you can't beat the profile of the Pioneer X/Farmer.

I personally prefer the Farmer as I spend a lot of my free time walking in woodland where the saw frequently comes out to play but for urban EDC the Pioneer models are where it's at.
      I'm pretty confident there will be no delivery issues, I've ordered direct from Amazon Japan themselves, not a 3rd party seller, and delivery has been confirmed with DHL for Dec 20th.

My EDC SAKs tends to vary between an alox Soldier, Pioneer X, Farmer, Climber or Yeoman - but nothing more than 3 layers usually. But 5 layers for the Master Craftsman (and not thick layers) is not completely OTT, unlike the Swisschamp, Cybertool 34/41 etc. and is carry-able.
    • Yossarian wrote:

Love a good SAK. DO spend the bit extra on your first one and get an alox model. I went for the farmer because theres a bushcraft guy on Youtube that can build his whole campsite with one and even splits and battons wood for fire etc. . . . . not likely to happen to me haha but hey gotta have dreams. Anyway carry it in my daily rotation now and cant say it dissapoints in any way. Also have a small classic on the keychain with the usefuls like toothpick, tweezer, sissors, nail file, and blade!
      I prefer the Rambler to the Classic, is not much thicker and you gain the useful Phillips 00/0 driver / Cap lifter Combo tool, the blade is also on the opposite side to the Classic, so not annoyingly next to the keyring.

I liked it so much I got an alox one:

• @Oxford_Guy Good, good it's nice to know Amazon JP is another potential source of sharp and shiny stuff.

@Yossarian I've also done some light splitting with the Farmer and it survived unharmed however... when I tried with a Tinker the spring bar (which acts as the stop) bent like it was made from aluminum. The Alox models are tougher with thicker components but ultimately they use the same system and can be damaged fairly easily if they are subjected to substantial force.

If trying to split with one best to ensure the blade is part folded to prevent the transfer of energy to the spring bar. This is fiddly though and requires full concentration.

Hopefully the fates won't ever be so cruel as to see you having to survive with an Alox Farmer, if they do, you can, but use caution. Its still a folder and not a particularly tough one in the grand scheme of things.
    • Coopster wrote:

@Oxford_Guy Good, good it's nice to know Amazon JP is another potential source of sharp and shiny stuff.

@Yossarian I've also done some light splitting with the Farmer and it survived unharmed however... when I tried with a Tinker the spring bar (which acts as the stop) bent like it was made from aluminum. The Alox models are tougher with thicker components but ultimately they use the same system and can be damaged fairly easily if they are subjected to substantial force.

If trying to split with one best to ensure the blade is part folded to prevent the transfer of energy to the spring bar. This is fiddly though and requires full concentration.

Hopefully the fates won't ever be so cruel as to see you having to survive with an Alox Farmer, if they do, you can, but use caution. Its still a folder and not a particularly tough one in the grand scheme of things.
      Sure, for outdoors use I prefer the heftier alox models, though for urban/holiday EDC something with a 3D Phillips and/or corkscrew is handy, so lean more towards one of my Yeomans or a Climber then.
    • Oxford_Guy wrote:

Coopster wrote:

I had no idea, what did that cost you?
      If you included shipping and import charges (which you pre-pay with Amazon), was about £53, I think
      The price on Amazon seems to change all the time, though, (was about 5,700 Yen, base, when I ordered mine) and it seems the only seller that will ship to the UK is Amazon themselves (but they're one of the cheapest anway): amazon.co.jp/dp/B000AR7A3S/ref=pe_492632_169829912_TE_dp_1

It's only been available in Japan since 2015 and may be a limited offering, but I'm not sure about that. There's some more information here: sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Master+Craftsman

Model number is: 1.4763.SS

BTW to the OP - the Master Craftsman is quite a thick SAK (5 layers), so may not be ideal for an EDC knife, unless worn on a belt pouch or maybe a Tec P7 dangler clip in a jeans pocket

Coopster wrote:

Thanks for the info @Oxford_Guy much appreciated.

Is your Master Craftsman the original version, without the hook and wood chisel on the back layer? They're rarer, I think, than the current Japanese market version will be.