Ebay kiln

Please vote for February's EM Calendar photo competition winner! Everyone can vote!

• Reading the manual, such as it is, I get the impression the controller is pre-configured to "work". Effectively you just enter the temperature setpoint required and it will heat to that. Where you'd need to program stuff yourself is the ramp/soak profile for whatever process you want to undertake.

Let's say you want to set up an annealing cycle for something: you'd want to set program comprising a start temperature of, say 800 degC and a soak time of say 30 min, followed by a ramp down segment: say 10 hours with an end temperature of 400 degrees, giving controlled cooling at 40 degrees/hour, then switch off.

Most dedicated kiln controllers will do this and are specifically designed for the non-technically-minded. The end-user usually only has access to a limited menu.

Industrial controllers with ramp/soak capability tend to be cheaper and much more versatile, but assume the person setting them up is technically minded and understands their process. There is not usually multi-level menu access, so there is the possibility of the end-user accidentally changing something major (like the thermocouple type).

The controller shown is a REX C100. Googling Rex c100 does not exactly fill me with confidence. I couldn't find a reference to a programmable version of the Rex C100 from a quick google.
    • timgunn1962 wrote:

Reading the manual, such as it is, I get the impression the controller is pre-configured to "work". Effectively you just enter the temperature setpoint required and it will heat to that. Where you'd need to program stuff yourself is the ramp/soak profile for whatever process you want to undertake.

Let's say you want to set up an annealing cycle for something: you'd want to set program comprising a start temperature of, say 800 degC and a soak time of say 30 min, followed by a ramp down segment: say 10 hours with an end temperature of 400 degrees, giving controlled cooling at 40 degrees/hour, then switch off.

Most dedicated kiln controllers will do this and are specifically designed for the non-technically-minded. The end-user usually only has access to a limited menu.

Industrial controllers with ramp/soak capability tend to be cheaper and much more versatile, but assume the person setting them up is technically minded and understands their process. There is not usually multi-level menu access, so there is the possibility of the end-user accidentally changing something major (like the thermocouple type).

The controller shown is a REX C100. Googling Rex c100 does not exactly fill me with confidence. I couldn't find a reference to a programmable version of the Rex C100 from a quick google.
      I have a C100 and there is no ramp as far as I can find, just an on/off when the set temperature is reached. I suppose you could get a different controller, the C100 is very cheap.