Cairngorm Knife - new model

Enter the EM 2017 Calendar Photography Competition for a chance to have your photo published in the calendar...

"Chew the Fat" is now an "Opt-In" area! Join the 'Chew the Fat' User Group..... See here for details.

• fluffy wrote:

No pressure Chris, :D just think of how many members have cattle prods though once you get these in production :evil: :saint:
      Thank you Gary,

There's still a few things to figure out for this models direction, a vanilla version with optional scales was the initial idea/ideal, but the member's input on blade steel and grip material has been fun and inspiring, Claire Grylls' is going to be swish... the Cragmaster has really changed a lot in his (never had such an intense discussion over ricassos/choils...) and I like your ideas of trialing materials, as well as the design.
      All this takes a lot of time, but the input makes it a lot of fun.
      I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything...

There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
    • fluffy wrote:

Niolox and bog oak still seems a winner.
      More or less finished testing Niolox. Totally impressed... Capable of a very fine carbon steel-like- edge, like 12C27/AEB-L but edge retention is significantly better. Seems on a par with Elmax! A total pain to polish, but: do things because they are right, not because they are easy...

This one off is near done... Large size Bjorkmann Twist Damasteel & Caledonian bog oak. More pics when it's done...

Thanks for your patience...
      I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything...

There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
    • Chris Grant wrote:

fluffy wrote:

More or less finished testing Niolox. Totally impressed... Capable of a very fine carbon steel-like- edge, like 12C27/AEB-L but edge retention is significantly better. Seems on a par with Elmax! A total pain to polish, but: do things because they are right, not because they are easy...
      This one off is near done... Large size Bjorkmann Twist Damasteel & Caledonian bog oak. More pics when it's done...

No, That's quite horrible. If you find it lurking anywhere I suggest you post it to me a calm yourself :D
      If I inadvertently offend you I apologise. If, however, the slight was intentional ...
    • Chris Grant wrote:

fluffy wrote:

Hi Chris,

What HRC can you expect with niolox? The black bar pitted finish is, for me, a bad starting point with this metal as I spent a bit o time cleaning, a couple of blade sized bits, up by hand...but such are the labours! :)
    • Trap1 wrote:

Chris Grant wrote:

fluffy wrote:

More or less finished testing Niolox. Totally impressed... Capable of a very fine carbon steel-like- edge, like 12C27/AEB-L but edge retention is significantly better. Seems on a par with Elmax! A total pain to polish, but: do things because they are right, not because they are easy...This one off is near done... Large size Bjorkmann Twist Damasteel & Caledonian bog oak. More pics when it's done...

Hi Chris,

What HRC can you expect with niolox? The black bar pitted finish is, for me, a bad starting point with this metal as I spent a bit o time cleaning, a couple of blade sized bits, up by hand...but such are the labours! :)
      Hi John,

I'm running it at 60/61 HRC.

This is oil hardened with a dry ice deep freeze.

With full grinds and tapered tangs up to the plunges, none of the original shotblasted finish remains. Niolox is work to finish hardened. As much a job as S30V or D2 even, but it's worth it. I'm dead impressed!

You can fully sand/polish before HT if it's going into stainless foil, but you run the risk of warpage, especially with tapered blades/tangs....

@david@gfs can surface grind it for you if you wish...

The post was edited 1 time, last by Chris Grant ().

• Cheers Chris!

I was'nt expecting the pitting & to be as deep as.002/.003" per side, it dose'nt sound much until you try to remove this by hand & maintain the bar flatness. I'm going to speak to @david@gfs later regarding the grinding as it would save a lot of time. For now, I've worked out that the best method to remove pitting, for me ,was full sheet o coarse grit taped to granite block with a h'wood taped block to bar stock...in use this provided fingers that still had feeling @ the end of this masochistic process. (The 1st one I did, I shaped the knife blade 1st -BIG MISTAKE- lesser surface area to grip by hand/block & I certainly would'nt recommend going to the toilet for at least 3-4hrs after doing it this way!)
    • Trap1 wrote:

Cheers Chris!

I was'nt expecting the pitting & to be as deep as.002/.003" per side, it dose'nt sound much until you try to remove this by hand & maintain the bar flatness. I'm going to speak to @david@gfs later regarding the grinding as it would save a lot of time. For now, I've worked out that the best method to remove pitting, for me ,was full sheet o coarse grit taped to granite block with a h'wood taped block to bar stock...in use this provided fingers that still had feeling @ the end of this masochistic process. (The 1st one I did, I shaped the knife blade 1st -BIG MISTAKE- lesser surface area to grip by hand/block & I certainly would'nt recommend going to the toilet for at least 3-4hrs after doing it this way!)
      The good news is we are going to be putting into stock in the next couple of weeks Niolox, 1.4528 (N690), D6 and L3 (52100) as both a 'black' product but also surface ground finish to give people the choice, although there would be a difference in price between the two (But not much!)
      O1, D2, Niolox, D6, 52100, Silver Steel, CPM-154, CPM-10V, CPM-S90V, CPM-REXM4 and LC200N (Z-FiNit) available in precision cut blanks to buy online
      groundflatstock.com
      instagram.com/groundflatstock/